Case Modding Basics... Steel vs Aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A paintball won't even dent my safety glasses, guaranteed, i've been involved with safety glasses testing at the manufacturing stage and we use steel ball bearings for testing. It would however leave a nasty bruise on the bridge of my nose i'm sure :D not to mention a splattered face.

If you're just looking to put a window in your case then it's actually very straight forward and easiest with a jigsaw, IMO:

1) tape the sidewall where you are going to cut with decent quality painters tape to minimize cut damage

2) stencil out the cut on the tape, or use template to trace it on

3) use your drill or dremel for a start cut for the jigsaw blade

4) making sure you have the correct type of blade for steel on the jigsaw cut out the hole, a jigsaw can do gradual rounded corners or big circles

5) use file to smooth out the cut

6) I use some u-tubing to cover the edge, hides minor blemishes and exposed steel which can clash with paint job if you're keeping stock finish

7) use glue or industrial 2-sided tape to apply the window, i use tape so that if i change my mind or want to make more changes later its easy to reverse.

Anyways, that's the process i use...don't know if i'm just repeating what you already know.

To cut your acrylic i think the bandsaw/sander combo is by far the best scenario, wish I had a bandsaw at my disposal, that will make your cut buddy basic.

thank you lol, now that is nice

I think I'll have to cut on my own, because the card backings (putting a sheet of UV acrylic on the backs of each expansions card that is visible, and on certain parts of the case including the drive bays, HDD rack etc.) aren't always a certain shape

however... I'll be sure to buy the blue acrylic from there

where are they located? I don't want to order from a foreign site (outside of the US) I've seen some Aussies order from there too?!

lol nothings wrong with non-americans, just don't want to have extended wait periods for my package lol, I'm an impatient person :p

foreign relations these days... every package is a bomb now :(

anyways, thanks then mate, good for me being on the east coast heh, florida -> virginia must be pretty fast

I'm heading out now to mail my phone ($280 in paypal now woohoo) and to check out microcenter and to gather up tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom