Dell Inspiron 5160 Heat Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

john2008

Solid State Member
Hi,
I'm new here and would consider myself as a bit of a "noob" when it comes to computers.
I've been looking around these forums and you guys seem really helpful so I thought I would post a question...

I've got a Dell Inspiron 5160. I need to leave it on during the night but I'm a bit worried about it as it gets pretty hot underneath and the AC adapter also gets pretty hot. I'm wondering if theres a good chance that it could catch fire. I leave it on a varnished wooden table. I also leave it plugged in.
I don't sleep the laptop as it needs to be on.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Yeah some Inspirons of that age can get pretty warm. It won't explode or anything but I'd really recommend one of those notebook coolers if you're worried about it. Heat ain't good for laptops.

Yes, Amazon.co.uk offers that for £15/$30 - I'll probably order one of those.
But I'm also concerned about how hot the AC adapter gets when its plugged in - is there anything else i could use to cool that?

Those can normally get pretty warm especially Dell's. I don't have any tips or anything for keeping that cool. Maybe one of those small usb fans pointed at it or something.

In addition to getting a good laptop cooler(Vantec make excellent coolers). I have a model with a 4 port USB hub.

WHERE TO BUY - ONLINE STORE

Here is a great program that will work with many Dell models. I have it set start with Windows. I also have it set to have the fans run constantly since I never shut my laptop off and it rarely runs on battery.

Dell Inspiron Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control

Since my laptop runs 24/7, once a month I take canned air and blow the dust out of the CPU and GPU heatsinks. Blow backwards through the heatsink sink to start with since dust cakes up between the fan and the heatsink.

As for the AC adapter either get one with a higher wattage or place the adapter on a flat metal object. Since my laptop doesn't go anywhere, I have it strapped to the metal leg of my table.

I would get both a laptop cooler and that program KurrentEweser recommended... I've had a bad experience with an overheating dell...

Thanks a lot KurrentEweser really helpful post ! :D
I downloaded the program and set all of the fan speeds to high speed and set them to run constantly. This has had a huge impact and has lowered the heat a huge amount... But im wondering if this could at all damage the fans/any other component longterm from running them constantly at a high speed?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom