CPU Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAH1020

Solid State Member
I have a quick question. I am thinking about purchasing a laptop and one of the things I need it for is gaming. Do the processor speeds in laptops work the same a the ones in desktops? Like would i still need 2.4GHz on a laptop to run cod4? If so does anyone have any sugggestions? Thanks in advance.

most laptops now are dual cores. the lowest clock speed i have seen in a dual core is 1.6 ghz (3.2 total ghz). you should be fine for the cpu.

Laptop cpu's run at lower clock speeds, just like desktop ones do nowadays. Ghz aren't really particularly important anymore. It's all about cache size, fsb speeds, architectures, # of cores, etc. And no, you wouldn't double the ghz speed just because a processor is dual core. It doesn't work like that.

For a rule of thumb you can knock off circa 40% off of that 2.4ghz number to get the equivalent laptop speed. That's not particularly firm but it can work. Or just go to Can You RUN It? to see if your particular laptop can run certain games. It will often give you a desktop-appropriate speed rating for your laptop's processor. For example, it sees the 1.1 ghz Centrino in my ultra portable laptop as "Rated At 1.65ghz" to help translate from laptop to desktop clock speeds. Hope that helps at least some...

Yea thanks that helped a lot. Can anyone give me an aproximate laptop GHz that could equal upto 2.4? Dont want to buy one and then have it not working, lol.

So when it's dual core it doubles the GHz?

No. Yes, each core runs at XXGHz, but you do NOT add the cores together for a "total" GHz. If that'd be true, then that means I overclocked my CPU to 7.06GHz...and its not running at that.

No. Yes, each core runs at XXGHz, but you do NOT add the cores together for a "total" GHz. If that'd be true, then that means I overclocked my CPU to 7.06GHz...and its not running at that.

lol. i'd be running at 12GHz plus. also games these days still seem to be giving requirements in Pentium 4 frequencies i believe. i think there is a definite need for a standard rating for processors these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom