OCing=exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_tai

Baseband Member
Thanks to you guys, im OC my new comp. (i mean that in a good way :p) Im a first timer OCer so if you guys sense i'm doing something wrong, tell me!

So with my new comp, i used cpu-z to check my specs before going back into bios to change settings. I recorded my cpu volatage, bus speed, multiplier, and current core speed.
When i restarted to bios i recorded bridge temps and cpu temps to compare later. First thing i did was change my bus speed from 200Mhz to 205Mhz, OC guide said small steps were better but the outcome was really small...cause my core speed went from 1404.6 to 1439.7.
My main question to you guys are whats a good cpu multiplier, voltage, for my cpu and are my methods correct?

btw, i was confused when my processor was only at 1404 Mhz. Isn't it supposed to start off at 2000, or is the theory of no cpu is the same factor in that?

I forgot to mention i changed my voltage to 1.3, but cpuz is showing i got 1.272V. less than what i started with.

diagnostic programs like CPU-Z, and such aren't alwasy on the dot correct which is why small steps are neccesary to ensure nothing goes wrong

anyways, sometimes your computer will be default clocked to a defulat multiplier, so by changing the bus speed you may have actually lowered it from the default that it shipped with

find the multiplier your CPU is using and multiply that by the bus speed to find the CPU clock speed (many BIOs have a function that calculates all the info for you)

a higher multiplier is pretty much always better because unless your CPU has an onboard memory controller, the bus speed increases will occur universally throughout your system so your RAM sticks or PCI cards may not be able to keep up with the speed increases. you can always alternatively lock down your ram (many motherboards support this) or you can set a ratio for which the CPU and RAM run based on the bus speeds (2:1, 3:1 etc.) or you can just down clock your RAM while your overclocking your PC

honestly though, when I overclock, I never move in increments that small. with modern day (IF YOUR PC DIES, DON'T BLAME ME) technology, there are many safety features that will protect your PC in any sort of problem... POST itself is pretty much an indicator that your PC is relatively stable. I usually move in increments of 100 MHZ minimum, and you can pretty much raise your bus speed as fast as you wan't because it will minimally increase temperatures, voltages are where you need to take your time since more electricity = more heat

If you have a good cpu cooler, you can set the multiplier on your e2180 to 10 and the fsb to 300 mhz. You will get an even 3.0 ghz with that. Run orthos after you oc to see if it is stable and check your temps with coretemp. With that oc you should be rock solid and well under 50 C. Also, remember to set your ram multiplier so you can stay as close to 800 mhz as possible. Your ram should be able to hit 900 mhz easily with a little higher voltages. 3 ghz is a good speed for those little monsters. good luck!!!

Well i got my cpu to 2.6 on my stock fan, but at 2.8 orthos says its unstable. Does orthos stress your cpu by stressing it with a much higher speed? Because my othros tests when my cpu was at 2.8 said it ran my cpu at 3.5 and 2.6 at 3.2. Other than that, i love it.

btw, got a arctic cooler 7 on the way so i can experiment more. thx fer your help guys.

hmmm, looks like orthos is having a problem? it should display your current speed, it doesn't test anything "harder"...

as long as it still works with stability, it should be fine, just a cosmetic problem.

make sure you run orthos a minimum of 20 minutes while finding your optimal speeds because otherwise your load temp may not be fully reached

when you find a speed you like, run orthos overnight, if it crashses your system is not stable and should be downclocked a bit

have fun when that artic cooler comes heh, overclocking can be exciting lol

I decided to scrap orthos and used this one instead.

Asus Maximus Formula *Part 2* *Help / Overclocking / Guide* - XtremeSystems Forums

it seems pretty accurate with temps compared to coretemp, and it actually stresses my cpu with 2.6Ghz. So right now i can stress 2.6 with (averages) 58 C at 95% load (only about 15min stress). also my cpu runs at 1.28v based on OCCT, but i'm sure i set it to 1.3250v in BIOS. whats the deal with that..im gonna try to lower the voltage since i just estimated the voltage i needed to begin with.

yeah, good idea

a lower voltage is always best as long as you remain stable because higher voltages = crazy heat

make sure though that when you lower the voltage, the clock remains stable

if it does, that probably means you can squeeze more mhz out of the current voltage that your using

and the monitoring programs don't matter much, just make sure its consistant (multiple programs agree) if you find one program that lists the temps as 20 C and all the others say 30 C, the isolated one is probably wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom