Getting a new computer - suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark J

Baseband Member
IÂ’m planning on getting a new computer, and IÂ’m really not sure what I need, so if any of you could help, it would be much appreciated.

IÂ’m willing to spend around $3000, maybe more, though less would be nice. A nineteen-inch-or-larger flat panel screen is a must.

IÂ’ll be using video editing software, realistic animation software like Maya or 3ds max, as well as doing basic stuff like Photoshop, typing, and using the Internet. So, you can see why IÂ’d need a lot of power on it.

Though I would like to build one, IÂ’m not sure how easy it is to mess things up. IÂ’ve never looked inside a computer before, let alone build one, but IÂ’ve heard itÂ’s supposed to be pretty easy. Should I try to do that, or is it better for me to buy a pre-made one?

Should I invest in a 3ghz processor? Get more RAM instead? Save the money? Buy lots of hard drive space? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies! :)

for 3000 dollars you would get a 3ghz processor, 2gb of ram and a pretty big hard drive. You could get top of the line components too.

With that price range and if your planning on using mainly video editing software/graphics etc. I would say buy yourself a Nice Macintosh G4.

They score much higher in benchmarks with those types of applications and generally just make better hardware.

Just my $0.02

Get an Alienware video machine. Those are nice. Check out wwww.alienware.com for more.

Yeah, Alienware's high-end video editing machines are pretty decent, but there's not much for under $3k. I would probably look into getting a Mac, especially if you don't have much experience building comps. Then again, maybe it's time you learned ;)

Well I would only recommend a Mac if all you are doing in video editing and basic stuff. If you want this system for gaming, do not get a Mac. For obvious reasons.

Nebb1211 – That would be great, though I haven’t seen any pre-built systems at that cost, and when looking at parts, the prices seemed considerably higher. Know where I could get something like this?

Ecniv – I’d rather not get a G4. I’m actually running one now, but it’s time I got a new computer, and I want a PC this time – for one thing, some video software that I’d like to use is only available for PCs.

Randy – Thanks for the link, I’ll look at it – though remember, I don’t want this JUST for video… I’m not going to do gaming, but I’m going to be doing some other things I can’t do on a Mac very well.

Ä®â‹Öx – I think I should be able to do build one, with the help of a online guide I’ve found and maybe a book. The main thing I’m worried about is spending days troubleshooting because it won’t start up, or something’s wrong with it, or that my parts won’t work together.

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone :) they helped.

If I did build a computer, anyone know where I can buy cheap parts? How I figure out what works together?

neb1211 said:
for 3000 dollars you would get a 3ghz processor, 2gb of ram and a pretty big hard drive. You could get top of the line components too.

Alienware Full-Tower Case (420-Watt PS) - Cyborg Green
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache w/H-T
ASUS P4T533-C - Intel 850E Pentium 4 Motherboard
Promise FastTrak100 TX2 IDE RAID Controller
80GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache
PROMOTION - FREE PlexWriter 48/24/48A CD-RW - IDE - Black
NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL 128MB 4x AGP Dual Monitor
AlienIce‚Ñ¢ Video Cooling System - Terra Green
Pinnacle Pro-ONE Digital Video Editing System
Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 - 6.1
Intel® PRO/1000 MT Gigabit Desktop Adapter
Microsoft Internet Keyboard - Space Black
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - USB - Standard Color
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

Price: $4,159.00

So, that's $4000 and it doesn't seem to have as much RAM as I could get for $3000? Hmm. Also, it doesn't say anything about the $4000 including a screen. I might consider it if it did, but... can't you get better stuff for a lot cheaper if you build one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom