now linux?!??!?! AHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
Ok whao, so i wanted to put linux (SuSE 9.1 Pro) on my machine and i did a day ago. It wouldnt load though so i dumped windows and then i could get to windows. I then started windows up again on a different partition...but when i boot the computer shouldnt i get a prompt to start linux or windows...if i am supposed to get that im not getting it...

the nicest way is put your Linux OS on another hardisk, dont stay in same hardisk( Although different partition ).

If you want to dualboot windows and linux you should install windows first. Ive herd that grub/lilo rain hell onto the windows boot loader. So just fdisk and delete the partations... If the old linux bootloader is still there use fdisk /mbr (master boot record) then install windows on like a 10gig partition or what have you. Then install linux (atleast 3 partitions 1(100mb /boot) 1(2x ram for swap) then 1(xgig for the /) then everything should work fine.

OK, last time i did that, i got a GRUB Read Error from linux booter. Im not sure if i made the entry that windows was also on my machine as well as linux, do i need to make sure i do that also?

GameGURU,

The LILO boot loader will chain load to the appropriate OS when you select the MS Windows OS. You said you "dumped windows." Exactly what did you do? format the partition windows was on? delete the folder? ... the more specific you can be the better.

I'm not a linux expert yet, although i'm learning bit-by-bit...

You should post your Q in the Linux forum where you will get more knowledgeable Linux users.

P.S. Keep in mind that FDISK is a dos utility that works only on FAT/FAT32 partitions so therefore, it has no effect on a linux or a NTFS partition.

UPDATE!! I put windows on again by itself and then put linux on clean. I am still using GRUB and get the same error. Linux has now been istalled on its own HD, and windows also has its own. I have changed a few things and we will see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom