format XP help pls ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the heck did you damage the files on your recovery CD?

And I think the answer to how XP got more complicated than 98, is due to the fact that 98 is OLD and XP is NEW. Not to mention the whole NT technology, 2000, and all the other important stuff between 98 and now that went into the development of XP.

Personally, I've found XP to be (almost very) different, but not difficult. It has its querks just like any Windows OS, but is adorable in its own little MS-contorted way.

BTW, you still never told us what you did to cause this problem. If (like Lone Wolf says) you buggered up a registry key, what were you doing in there in?

...And what the heck did you do to yer recovery disk??? o_0

He said he didn't physically damage the CD. So now I'm waiting for him to tell me that he tried to burn data onto it with his writer. At that point, we need to commit him to the dark nether-regions of those TSTOAPC.

If this is an OEM disk, and it is not pyhsically damaged it is impossible for the files on the cd to be corrupt...if it is damaged or scratched where the cd-rom drive cant read certain files from it then you would need to get another disk.

i already did it..i already formatted it and install win2k..but one problem though.. it became dual boot..win2k and the corrupt winxp.. how do i take out the winxp?

i already did it..i already formatted it and install win2k..but one problem though.. it became dual boot..win2k and the corrupt winxp..when booting, i displays to OS to choose, win2k and winxp.. how do i take out the winxp?

i already did it..i already formatted it and install win2k..but one problem though.. it became dual boot..win2k and the corrupt winxp..when booting, it displays two OS to choose, win2k and winxp.. how do i take out the winxp?

why did u post it 3 times??

you have 2 options, delete the entire windows folder. win2000 is in the i386 folder, windows xp is in the windows folder by default. just delete it.

that also means that you didn't format your hard drive before installing win2k. so you could reinstall it and make sure that you formatted the disk.

xotix said:
why did u post it 3 times??

Cuz he's practicing his mouse clicking technique. hehe...

xotix said:
you have 2 options, delete the entire windows folder. win2000 is in the i386 folder, windows xp is in the windows folder by default. just delete it.

If you're talking about the default directory that W2K gets installed to, it's actually WINNT - not i386.

xotix said:
that also means that you didn't format your hard drive before installing win2k. so you could reinstall it and make sure that you formatted the disk.

That's exactly right - and very astute of you to point it out.

He can actually just edit the boot.ini file and delete the line that references XP or do the following:

Start | Settings > Control Panel > Systems (double click- don't triple click) > Click on the Advanced tab > click Startup & Recovery > in the Default operating systems box, click on Windows 2000.

Click OK on the way out and you shoudl be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom