AGP gaming card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesspren6

In Runtime
I want to upgrade my AGP card. What card would be great for gaming? CPU-z says my mobo has AGP version 2.0 with a transfer rate of 4x and max is 4x. And what would be the best AGP card out there for gaming?

Most AGP models since the time that was new are now 4x/8x. There's an endless list to pick from depending on which version of Windows you are running or plan to run. Even the latest models are backward compatible.

Yeah i have 8x but the gaming is still low, i think i need to upgrade on my Video Card. Goto your videocards manufacture site and look for any updated drivers

Updating drivers probably already seeing the last released for a now discontinued model card there won't see any gain over 4x. Installing a new 8x capable card will see that slowed to 4x while offering more GDDR type onboard memory if that's an old 64mb card there.

Some general system information would be helpful here as well as the price range in mind for seeing any newer card recommended.

You can far less with an older board since you won't see big difference past a certain point anyways. I can't believe my eyes on one card however. The ATI Radeon 9550 256mb model is still over $50? Newegg.com - ATI 100-437105 Radeon 9550 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

That ran Steam games and everything else on one old build without problems. The vpu chip is the same as seen on the 9600 models. Catalyst 5.11 best for gaming!

The card I have right now is just a Matrox 32mb video card. I would get a pci-e mobo but i got this computer free. Its a p4 northwood 2.4ghz with 512mb ram. It's an asus p4b533 mobo.

A 32mb card? ouch! I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I thought the 64mb models were dinosaurs at this point! :p

The support page for that model board for the downloadable user manual is seen at ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

You have to scroll down the page most of the way as usual there to find the English version with the links for that. That shows a max of 2gb of PC2100 memory with three dimm slots and the expect 1.5v AGP slot.

The main support for the model is found at ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- in case you want to look for the latest bios or drivers that were originally released.

For a better card any 128mb 4x/8x AGP model card would certainly see an improvement over what you have there by a long shot. Even an old 64mb model would see a small boost. But don't too much at this point for the older system there performance wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom