Booting (Resetting) Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisa_10

Beta member
I have 3 computers: one uses XP Home, the other two Windows 2000 Pro.

They all have the same problem:

They keep rebooting (resetting).

Once they are turned on, they go through the normal boot up processes, then just before I would (should) see the Windows Sign-In Page, they reset and the boot up process starts anew and will not stop until the computer is turned off. At one point, I was able to get into safe mode in one of them, I don't recall which one. I have ran Bart's PE on two of the the XP and one of the Windows 2000....they have been scanned for over 32 viruses, including Sasser and Blaster, none were found. We use a LinkSys Rounter and have SBC DSL.

Is there a solution to this issue!

Thank-You.

give some more info. as in anything new added (hardware or software) within the past month or so? also, what sp version on each machine how about using F8 and instead of safe mode use last known good configuration to correct any registry problems...

Did you use an actual virus scanner on them or just the Fix Utilities for those specific viruses?

If its happening to all 3 of them, it probably not a hardware problem. Have you recently installed a new piece of software on them all?

Also, are there any shared drives between the 3 comps?

are they in any way connected physically or virutally networked because it sounds like a virus since it unlikely it is hardware related

Two things.

1. Have you had any power-outages, power flickers, or power*** anythings lately?

2. Be prepared to find/buy a new HD to slave those others to. Yep, it's coming.

Do all the computers have the same specs? Actually now that i think about it. Its sounds alot like a Virus.

Get AVG Antivirus scanner. Heres the site

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

You can get the Free edition which works good for Virii.

Also make sure when you set up networks' even at home that you get a Firewall & An Antivirus. Or else stuff like this will tend to happen.

killians45 said:
how about using F8 and instead of safe mode use last known good configuration to correct any registry problems...

Killian45, you probably know this but forgot.

the Last known good configuration pertains to hardware only. This option will only work if his last boot up (prior to any hardware changes made) was successful. Therefore, any subsequent boot ups made after that, if they were unsuccessful, will not work with this option.

ShoobieRat said:
...flickers, or power*** anythings lately?

Hmmm... very technical term you're using. I'll have to look that up in my dictionary.

ShoobieRat said:
2. Be prepared to find/buy a new HD to slave those others to. Yep, it's coming.

Okeyyy... and you're predicting that a HDD failure is eminent because?? Explain to me how such a random reboot is caused by a HDD failure and please use words that are in the dictionary. TYVM.

I know, figured if he added any hardware then he could go to last known good config if its a conflict there. ;)

A bad sector at the front of your HD WILL cause your computer to continually reboot. I've seen it happen all the time, had it happen to me. Usually happens after some kind of electrical problem (for me, it was a sudden on-off of the power during a storm). It's fixable, and the easiest way to do so (relatively) is to slave the boot drive to a good HD and run a scandisk once you get it connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom