Problem installing software in windows xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagesmith

Beta member
I am having a problem here on my laptop and appreciate some help. My operating system is Windows XP Pro. with service pack 2 and current with all updates.Here is an example of my problem: I try and install software or upgrade a program I already have and the process starts and right away I get a message that says,"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". For example, I just tried a simple upgrade of Goggle Earth, and it will not complete.
I am a standalone workstation connected by cable LAN, not on a network, and am the administrator.I use AVG Pro.Anti-Virus and ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall.Evidently, somehow the administrator policy has set somehow to prevent installations and simple upgrades. I ran AVG and have no virus problem. I have run 2 or 3 types of competent spyware and Adware/Malware removal programs that indicate no problems.I also did a defragmentation and ran SFC /SCANNOW to make sure all my protected files are in place, which completed without any problem. About a week ago, I got infected with the Zlob virus and went into great detail to remove its every trace in my registry and memory successfully. I am at my end of ideas.
Can anyone suggest a resolution to my problem,or point me towards some references that might help? I appreciate the time for feedback as I want to get this resolved before it grows into a bigger problem.
Thanks,
imagesmith

Have you checked yoru Profile to make sure it is still the Admin? Have you checked the rights you have thru group policies?

It kinda sounds as if someone made you a limited user.

Makaveli213-

Thank you for your suggestion; I went into gpedit.msc to see what policy changes may have occured there without my knowledge and sure enough I saw that 'disable windows installer' was enabled,so I disabled it and that solved it.It was probably caused by the last virus invasion I had. Boy, we really do need to watch what damages these viruses cause as they are getting so subtle these days, and they are so persistent. Appreciate your quick input. I went right into installing and upgrading and everything went perfect.Problem solved.Onward to a workday. Forums like this are so usefull.

Imagesmith :)

Glad it is all worked out and sorted now. Glad i was right and it was jsut a group policy thing. Could have been much worse. Last but not least. Glad to be of service. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom