laptop to laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcintire21

Solid State Member
I bought a cat 5e cable and am trying to connect two laptops with this cable. I can't get them to recognize each other. I tried to setup a new connection under network connections but couldn't get it to work. What do I need to do? Thanks.

After I change the addresses what do I do then or what should happen. Does the other computer appear as another hard drive under "my computer"? I'm very familiar with this please provide all the details you can. Thanks again.

so i'm guessing you are trying to set up file sharing between the two laptops? the next step depends slightly on what you want to do exactly. it is not recommended to share a whole drive as it poses a security risk. you can do it but it's not a good practice. you can either create a folder to place everything you want to share in, use the shared documents folder or just share particular folders containing what you want.

either way, find the folder you want to share, right click on it and choose the sharing and security option (this might not be there until you activate file sharing though, in that case open the properties and switch to the sharing tab). the options there should be fairly self explanatory. after you've enabled the folders you want to share you may need to reboot as file sharing can be a bit finicky. you should then be able to find the shared folders from the other laptop in the "My Network Places" on each respective computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom