e8400+ bios update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I had this one kid asking me what voltage to run at to get his 5000+ @ 3.2. How do I know, run prime95 and find out. They're not all the same

if it was the BE, he could just increase the multiplier and be on stock voltage

this also reminds me of something I saw on this site brb... lemme look it up

EDIT found it:

[New!]

A friend of mine had managed to order a new AMD CPU and a motherboard from another friend of ours that owned a computer store that, at the time, did not sell AMD, but was willing to get it in to help out my friend.

My friend picked up the gear and brought it around to my place, and we built the system together. Upon finishing it, we ran some test programs on it, and everything was fine. My friend then decided to check out the system properties. Windows XP told him that he had an AMD Athlon 1700+. Now, he knew he had bought a 2.4 gig CPU, and the 1700 was not fast enough, so, while I was out of the room, he went into the BIOS and changed the Front Side Bus to try to get it from 1700+ to 2.4 gig. Within a few moments, the PC died a horrible death.

He took the PC back to our friend's store, where it was dismantled. We found that the motherboard was fried and the CPU had small craters in it. The friend that owned the store managed to get a replacement motherboard and CPU. When the replacement gear arrived in the store, the store owner's assistant wrote in huge letter on the motherboard box, "Do Not Change FSB!!!"

So, after explaining to the friend, that Windows picks up the AMD as a 1700+ but it is still a 2.4 gig processor, and that the original PC was running optimally, we went back to my place and started installing the replacement gear. Everything was fine, and my friend was happy with the way everything ran but was convinced it still loaded programs quicker when he changed the FSB on the old PC that he fried. But he'd been told not to change the FSB, and so he didn't. He took the PC home.

The next weekend he told me he had changed the FSB again and fried another CPU and motherboard.

Source: Computer Stupidities: Hardware Abuse

nah I call them "n00bs or fr00bs or froobs or noobs or scrubs" or whichever term you'd like to use haha :D

lol I was bored no hw (well I had some just didn't feel like doing it)

but Braz if you need an overclocking guide tell me on AIM, and I'll help you out (even though I haven't had that good of a system in so long)

ok, how do update bios? i dont have a floppy drive, but i do have a flash drive if i can do it through that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom