Looking for a media player that does the following...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
I'm looking for a media player that will do the following:

-Make playlists
-Able to add to play lists by either drag/drop, or right click on a folder and add all that way
-Is able to play just about every file type (mp3, m4a, and aac are most important)
-Is as lightweight as possible.
-Is VERY userfriendly. Very userfriendly as in, computer illiterate people could run it with ease.

Those are the main points that I'm looking for. Does anybody recommend a good player? I was going to use VLC Player, but I noticed that it can't play m4a files (or can it with a codec update?). I'm using JetAudio right now, but for some reason, when I play some m4a files, it does not want to let me to be able to scroll through the song.

The reason I'm looking for a player like this is because my friend's mom (who own's our town's bowling alley) asked me if I would help them set up a computer so they can play it through their sound system. I agreed I'd help, and they said they'd pay me. I already have all the songs/am organizing them as I speak, but I'd like to make it as easy as possible for them, since I'm not going to be there to run it, I'm just setting it up for them. The computer they're running it on only has a 1.6GHz CPU, and 512MB RAM, and is running on XP, SP1. They just did a fresh reinstall of XP on it, so it only has the basic programs, and only has WMP 9.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

winamp does all of them. wmp need codec to play mp4 and aac. it's also a pain to make a playlist with wmp. winamp has an option in it's preference that if you set it, it will automatically make a playlist to each individual cd that it rips. it had that option for years. everybody else's player needs that option

tagscans 5 is another good program for making playlists for individual folders

Ah, I forgot about WinAmp. I'll have to try it and see...is it a fairly user-friendly player? Because, like I said, I won't be there to help t hem with it (I'll show them how to run it the first couple times I'm sure), and would like for them to be able to run it easily.

I forgot about WinAmp too. Yes it's pretty user friendly. And you can listen to streaming radio over the net with it too.

There is a very lightweight program, maybe doesn't do acc that I know of, but does the rest. It's call foobar. It's REALLY user friendly, takes up almost no resources at all, and you can add an entire directory at once, which is helpful.

Hmm... I may look into that one as well, Geniusdude. Do you know right off hand if it handles m4a files too? About of the third of the files I have right now for them are m4a, because I took them off of their son's iPod with Sharepod. Unless you know of a batch converter for m4a to like mp3 that can convert like 2000 songs at a time, lol.

Heh, had already solved the problem. Decided to use Winamp for this project. It's been running fine for them for quite a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom