A Question About Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutulu

Baseband Member
I am in the process of building a new PC, but along with it my decade old Sony CRT monitor is going out. So I am looking to purchase something new, and preferably LCD.

While I do know enough about PCs to get by, I am completely lost on the intricacies of monitor specs and the like.

Is there certain models anyone can suggest for something under 500 dollars?

And with that, at my work they have the following Sylvania HDTV on clearance:

Sylvania

It has PC Input, but I am going to be using it for gaming would this work, or should I stray from using a TV to do the work of a Monitor?

26” WXGA LCD DISPLAY (1366 x 768 pixels) I would say no. I would however use it if it were 1920x1080. What size are you looking for? 500 is a nice amount. You could buy the 28 Hanns G at costco for 500. Or get a top of the line 24" w/ 500. My bro uses a vizio tv for a monitor w/ the same res and I don't like. Not alot of real estate compared to 1920x1200

Hopefully something in the 26" range, I could go a little smaller. I have a 21" now, and I want something widescreen. There isn't a costco where I live, so I am afraid that won't work. Also my work has a bunch of Vizio HDTV that are continually on sale but I really don't trust that brand. We also have Olevia which seems a bit better.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will take those into consideration. Another question I have is, aside from Resolution, which specs should I be taking into consideration?

I assume response time is a big deal, but how do I tell what a good response time is? Is 2ms better than 8ms? Or 5ms? Or the other way around?

Response time with a lower number is better. Although, I believe there's a limit to what the human eye can detect differences in (can't remember quite sure what it is).

also brightness and find out what kind of panel is being used. TN,MVA,S-IPS. If your going to spend 500 on a monitor I would suggest finding out what each panel is. It'll be the difference between a crappy one and good one. Stay away from TN's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom