No Idea What's Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgerme

Baseband Member
I'm new here and I'm not sure what the etiquette is for asking questions but I'm just going to go for it and hopefully get a positive response.

I have had ongoing problems with the computer I brought about 3 years ago. Had to replace the motherboard, RAM, and power supply. The problems never seem to stop. In hindsight the purchase of the computer was a poor decision. Anyways, my current problem is that when I start my computer up it loads and then when the desktop should pop up and windows should start it just goes to a black screen. I usually am fairly good with computers but I am stumped with this.

My question to the members of this board is from that very vague description is there anything people can think of to be wrong? I'm assuming it's a hardware problem...MoBo...hard drive...video card...but I really don't have any idea.

My second question is...I am willing to build a new computer, with help of course. Is this a better option considering all the problems I have had with this current set-up.

If people are willing to delve deeper and help me out I'm sure this could make more sense...so anybody willing I would be greatly appreciative.

When you say black screen do you mean the computer continues to run but you have no video?

Or does it shut down?

Also what are the components and operating system?

If your computer is still running you may have a video card problem.

Do you have on board Video?

When you say black screen do you mean the computer continues to run but you have no video?

Do you have on board Video?

Yes the screen goes black and the computer stays on...no video. I have an on board Video card. I've had to replace a number of parts to the computer and to be completely honest I can't remember the makes and models of the new pieces. I'll have to open it back up and find out for sure. However, the original pieces are...

AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ RETAIL BOX
ALBATRON GEFORCE 6800 LE 128MB
GIGABYTE K8NS NFORCE3 754 GA-K8NS
MAXTOR 80GB 7200RPM ATA133 HD
(2x) 512MB PC3200 PC400 DDR
CASE FAN
BLACK TURBO X-INFINITY / WINDOW
BLACK 16X DVD/52X32X52 CDRW COMBO
BLACK MITSUMI 1.44MB FLOPPY
BLACK 6-IN-1 MEDIA READER
AC97 ONBOARD SOUND

I replaced the PSU about a year after purchase and both sticks of RAM about 2 years after.

You can check to make sure the Video card didn't come loose try to re seat it. Try to hit f8 repeatedly while booting to get to the safe mode menu. Then try to start in safe mode. If you can then change your video settings or reload the video drivers.

Pretty much what sPlAtOiD said. If you can get into safe mode, reinstall your video card drivers from nvidia.com. Usually if you can see the window's boot screen, there is not a problem with your video card, just the drivers since it loads once you get into windows.

Pretty much what sPlAtOiD said. If you can get into safe mode, reinstall your video card drivers from nvidia.com. Usually if you can see the window's boot screen, there is not a problem with your video card, just the drivers since it loads once you get into windows.

I tried to do this but when I restart an error message comes up that says my computer shut down un-expectedly. There's a countdown from 30 and then it starts windows up. However, on that same screen you can choose, launch in safe mode, launch with last settings that worked, etc...however for some reason I can't use my keyboard to arrow to safe mode. I have no idea what to do.

Are you using a USB keyboard? If so, you want to enable USB Keyboard function within BIOS in order for it to work where you can select safe mode.

Are you using a USB keyboard? If so, you want to enable USB Keyboard function within BIOS in order for it to work where you can select safe mode.

Yes I am using a USB keyboard. How do I get into BIOS to enable the USB keyboard function? Through set-up during start up?

You can enter BIOS by pressing a specific key when you first startup your PC, most are either F2, Delete key, or Esc to enter BIOS I think yours would be Delete key, but i may be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom