Upgrade this average gaming computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - 8800gt 239.99

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply 115/ 230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE - Retail - APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply 115/ 230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE - Retail

Now if someone can find me an MB to use for these things I can pick out my RAM too. lol, I need an MB that an novice can install. around 200 or under as long as I can use that cpu

Would you guys swap out anything thats near the same prices?

Single 8800gt is a lot better and comes in only a bit more than the 2x 8600.

Newegg.com - ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I recommend the asus line for overclocking (most people will go with gigabyte, also a good choice)

Asus has improved memory performance and this board comes with WIFI so if you have wireless or are taking the comp anywhere, its a nice feature. Other than that, its the board i wanted to get and my current board is great so this one must be excellent :D

Edit: And i would maybe change the power supply

DoubleEdit: Newegg.com - ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Thats a really good board if you want to spend the money, and has crossfire if you want to in the future.

Dual cards do not equal double performance. Your better off with one good card compared to dual 8600gt.

You asked about what amount of ram earlier. You said your running XP pro, which is probably 32 bit. So chances are you will only be able to use 2 gbs of ram, that is all that 32 bitt XP will read. And thats all you will need for that matter, 2gb is still a decent set up for ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom