USB plug repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbphiladelphia

Solid State Member
Such a simple dilemma, it would seem, but I'm hitting a wall. I have a Novatel U727 USB Broadband Modem.
8700346_sa.jpg

Thanks to a family pet that will remain nameless, the laptop took a leap. Thinkpad was ok, but the aircard's usb plug is severely bent, almost to the point of being severed. I've googled like a madman in an attempt to find a company that would fix the thing, and have only found one to date. Unfortunately, it took multiple attempts to make contact with anyone after multiple instant messaging and phone calls, so shipping this off to them sigh unseen is a bit unsettling. The last firm suggested I simply buy a new one, but with a list price of almost $300, I don't think so :)

It's simply a matter of replacing the plug - I just don't have the skills to do it. Anyone know of a good firm who can do this for a reasonable price?

Much thanks!

I had the same thing happen to a (much cheaper) 256MB USB flash drive. Hopefully, the actual circuit board wasn't broken in the process, and if it was, hopefully the actual components didn't break. If the components are still OK, you can simply use a soldering iron ($5 at RadioShack) and some solder to re-attach the plug. It's easy, just plug in the iron, wait until it gets hot, touch the iron to the solder, then touch it to the USB plug pins on the circuit board.

However, if you don't want to do it yourself, I don't know of any "firms" or places that will do this for you. Your best bet is to find a friend or neighbor or someone who has some skill with soldering or electronics repair, and if you can't find anyone, you can try an electronics repair shop or something.

Thanks, man. Believe it or not, everything else, flip up antenna included, is perfectly fine. Even the GPS chip still works, a nice little add-on, I must say. I am on the verge of giving myself the job - I just don't have much faith in my soldering skills, nor do I know anyone who claims to be good either. Unfortunately, we live in an age where everything is disposable, so I'm afraid the neighborhood electronics repair shop got replaced with a Starbucks a long time ago :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom