nothing comes up on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
my mate at work asked me to look at his computer, but no nothing comes up on the monitor when powered on ive made sure the power ide cables are in ive made sure the ide cables in correct made sure the HD and optical drives the jumpers are set but still nothing comes up also i know its working because the PC fans come on when you turn it on and also the GFX card works because its fan come on, but i think it could be the HD but surely that wouldnt stop the display coming up

Just hearing the vpu cooling fan running doesn't mean the video card is still good. The card could be bad or simply not seated down in the slot fully if you are hearing what sounds like Windows is still loading up without a display.

First try reseating the card to make it's down in the slot correctly. Look at the manual for the board or system to see if it features onboard video and needs a setting change in the bios in order to see AGP or PCI-E set as default there.

when i turn on pc theres no input to the display if i plug it in the vga card or the onboard mobo so i cant go into the bios

Try taking out the video card, then clear the cmos...then plug the monitor up to the onboard video.

If that doesn't work, try disconnecting parts to narrow down the cause of the problem.

You could have a bad monitor there instead. Generally you would see a "no signal detected" message onscreen if the monitor is working properly. That would certainly explain why everything else seems to be working.

The effected system is your colleagues there. The idea for troubleshooting would be trying it on a different system entirely to see if the monitor itself is working properly so you can either rule that out or determine what is wrong with it.

If you put another monitor on the system and suddenly all is well then you have performed a process of elimination already. If a substitute monitor is blank then the video card would be the next on the list.

A hard drive wouldn't stop you from seeing the initial post screen come up. Past the initial post tests and you would most likely see failure to find boot device or no boot device found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom