laptop components to pc? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerGrlGeek

Beta member
Hi! I've tried asking around other forums and haven't had much luck so I thought I'd try this site, it looks like a great forum. Attached below are copies of my dilemma:

I've been looking around the internet for a couple of days trying to answer my question and haven't really found a defenitive answer so I thought I would try here. This is my 'dream':

I want to take as many laptop components that I can and transfer them into a Desktop PC. I already found out through this awesome forum that I need a IDE Converter for the hard drive.

I'm assuming this means I can also transfer over the floppy and the cd-rw/dvd drive but what converters do I need for these?

Also is there ANYTHING else that I can transfer over successfully? These are my laptops specs:

1.1GHz Duron Morgan with SSE
VIA KN133 chipset
JBL Pro laptop speakers
14.1” TFT screen
16MB shared memory S3 Savage4 Pro+
240MB PC100 SDRAM (384MB max)
20GB IDE Hard Drive
2x Standard USB 1.1 ports
1x IEEE 1394 Texas Instruments OHCI
8x8x24 Combo CD-RW/DVD
Windows XP Home

The reason I want to switch everything over is because three months after I bought the laptop the p key malfunctioned, instead of typing 'p' it did the programmed number code instead. Now my 'r' is also unfunctionable. I also believe the modem is shot as the internet connection lasts no more than three minutes at a time.

Basically I need a very low-line pc that my mother can use (instead of using my pc!). I need nothing more than the 20GB hard drive the laptop came with, a new modem and anything else I can salvage from the laptop. I know it will be a stretch but do you think I might be able to pull this off without spending more than 200? I found a case for 30.00 w/power supply I'm eyeing...but what type of motherboard/cpu specs do you think I should be looking at?

The laptop is approximately two years old now. When the 'p' key first malfunctioned it only happened irregularly and I did not think much about it. The system started to do that, and many other things wrong irregularly barely months after the warranty expired.

I have two USB ports on the back and one regular port so that I can plug a mouse in as my mother did not like to use the touchpad. We have tried four different mice in the past two years. The last three, regular and optical will do erratic jumping. As for the keyboard option, I have tried it, but we are working with very little space and it seems that our hands inadvertently go back to the busted keyboard. My goal was to try to make a desktop PC, which we've had much more luck with and place a LCD with it.

However, even though the keyboard was the main problem, like I said it will barely keep an internet connection for three minutes. I felt that all these problems combined, in a laptop system that I'm not comfortable with even starting on repairs, would be best off in just salvaging what I can and making a desktop system.

Also, I had hopes of creating a system for $200.00 US (minus the LCD of course)

Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm a novice at this and am dying to create my first pc on a definite shoestring budget.

you can use ur drives with converters as you say others suggested. and you can also use your copy of windows.

however you can't really use anything else, laptops are designed much differently than desktops.

Okay...well I have a question. I was assuming that the CD-RW and floppy drives can be transfered but on another forum someone said I can only use the hard drive, nothing else.

Does anyone have any links to any sites that have converters for the CD-RW/floppy drives? Or do they need converters?

Thanks!

Also, any suggestions on reasonably prices mother boards/processors that will handle Microsoft Word, Earthlink and other generic programs?

Thanks!

i'm not sure about your burner and floppy drives, so i didn't post it. however i'm doubting it, becasue of worked on ibm laptops and their drives are complicated.

i know that they might need converters, i'm just not sure if any exist.

you don't need anything powerful for those tasks, US200 should be more than good enough. you need around a 1.6 ghz, with 256mb of ram, you could get something better, but you won't really need it.

buy an amd xp processor, those are getting pretty cheap, or you could buy a 1.6ghz intel celeron processor, that shouldn't break the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom