DYI Fan Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Here is question for some one that is a little more electrically minded......

I am looking at setting up a fan controller that I can install on one of my PCI Slot Bays. When it comes down the fans, there is the following cables....

Red Wire - Positive Current
Black Wire - Negative Current
Yellow Wire - Fan Speed Detection

I have come up with the following wiring diagram. The power for the fan will be coming from the motherboard. I would still like to have the motherboard to monitor the fan speed.

FAN.jpg

Would I be correct in saying that all I need to do is solder a dial nob on the Red / Positive wire coming from the fan? Or would I need to be doing some thing different?

Well i think the excess electricity when you turn the fan down needs to go somewhere. I say this cause the fan controller i have in my folding rig has 4 channels, a pcb, resistors, and heatsink.

How is there "excess" electricity? Is there heat from the volume control of your speakers?

Not sure about voltage, but if I get a dial that increases and decreases the Resistance, that should do the trick.

↑ Resistance ↓ Fanspeed ↓ Fan noise ↓ Dust in my PC
↓ Resistance ↑ Fanspeed ↑ Fan noise ↑ Dust in my PC

I only want the fan on high when I need the extra airflow.

Not sure about voltage, but if I get a dial that increases and decreases the Resistance, that should do the trick.

↑ Resistance ↓ Fanspeed ↓ Fan noise ↓ Dust in my PC
↓ Resistance ↑ Fanspeed ↑ Fan noise ↑ Dust in my PC

I only want the fan on high when I need the extra airflow.
I understood this from the beginning. I'm just wondering if you had the knowledge of what and how the dial works, and which dial you had in mind.

I understood this from the beginning. I'm just wondering if you had the knowledge of what and how the dial works, and which dial you had in mind.
No idea. Some one one another forum as posted up some circuit diagrams.
Variable Regulators

I am not doubting that this will work. However i am thinking that surely there must be a simplier way.

Currently I have speedfan operating in the back ground. However I would like a hardware solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom