reinstalling my hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollo321

Solid State Member
hello i just reinstalled windows xp for 1st time and when i connected my slave maxtor internal sata drive, it shows up on my computer, and when i click on it it says the drive needs to be formated and asks if i want format it. i used this as a data hd and dont want to lose any data that was on it before. so what do i need to do to be able to access my hd without losing any data previously saved? thanks

well i updated my bios if thats what u mean, i didnt run windows update because internet isnt up on that computer, and didnt do ne usb updates. i didnt even know any of those had nething to do with my hd

Sometimes USB ports need an update...
So disconnect the external harddrive, hook compu up to the internet, do windows update, restart and attach external drive again.

If it still doesn't recongize it, try it on another computer, also, open up the external HD case and make sure it is connected tightly..

Sometimes the HD inside an external case can become loose.

no i havent. can u please tell me how to flash the bios, im not too good with computers. also the computer doesnt have internet so i wont be able to run windows update. and what do i do after these things? thanks

Did you update windows first? And it still didn't see the drive?

Flashing the BIOS is manufacture dependant, goto the manufactures website, find your specific board, and look for BIOS flash menu or utility or guide..

It will be in your MANUAL also..

ok i just flashed my bios. and no i didnt update windows. i just reinstalled it yesterday, with new from scratch xp pro. id update it but like i said i dont have internet on that computer. the computer does recognize the drive, when i go to my computer it shows up, but when i cdouble click it it said the drive needs to be formatted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom