Hard Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked15

Baseband Member
I heard somewhere that you can partition a single hard drive into two drives. Is that true? And how exactly does that work?

Well, you can partition a Hard Drive into two different drives such as C: And D: You kinda have to know what you are doing so that you dont delete windows or something. If you have say a 200GB HD, you can break it up and make it several different partitions.

Well, cuz I was thinking of going with a 120gig HD, (in my future computer!!) figuring that if I make a C: just for windows and setup files, etc. and then store everything else on a D: it might boot faster, etc... Do you know where I could find out about how to do that without majorly screwing things up? ;-)

If it's a new computer, you can do it easy when you first load windows. It gives you the option to partition your hard drive, so just decide how big you want each section and go for it!

Okay, since I've never done this before (built a computer on my own...) it will be clear to me when the option comes up? :) Also, do you think 10 gig will suffice for basically just running windows if all my program files and media will be on the second drive?

Yes, it should be very clear. A blue screen will come up asking about how you want to partition your hard drive. You have to have at least one since your hard drive is brand new and there is nothing on it. But if you want more than one, just create more than one. It's very simple once you see it. It will ask you if you want to create a partition, then just tell it how much you want in each part and you're done. 10 gigs should be way more than enough space, and in fact if you have a lot of media you may want to reduce it to save space. I can't think of any reason as to why you'd ever need more than a gig or two for just windows stuff. Good luck, and if you have any other questions just let me know.

Thank you so much! You've been a big help! :) I've been planning this computer all summer, just waiting for the right time, but when I finally build it, I have to thank everyone from tech-forums for all the help and advice I've gotten!! :) :) :)

Just one thing to remember, once you are done installing windows and formatting all of the space, you cannot go back and resize it without getting rid of windows again. You can with software that is really expensive or advanced, but when you are working in the XP setup area, make sure that you plan out the partitions that you want and that you make them right. Oh and have fun with the comp when you get it, i just gone mine earlier this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom