I need a new computer, but

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

In Runtime
So, I'm getting a new computer, I'm done with all the problems mine has. So far, I cannot find a computer that does not have vista pre installed. I want to use XP and Ubuntu, and I want to use my current hard drive, so it needs to be IDE, not SATA connections for the hard drive.

Any tips?

Edit: Tackick onto this, if I buy a computer with vista, could I just pull the hard drive and add mine instead, then install XP and Ubuntu? Or, could I erase the drive and install XP and Ubuntu over it?

Also, all I need is the tower.

Build yourself. Simple solution, you can do anything you want and include/exclude anything.

What, like order all the parts myself? I don't know quite enough to do that.

its not as hard as people make it seem, if u can build ur own comp doesn't make u an ultra nerd it just makes u smart enough not to waste money on a pre built. all u have to do is order all the parts u need, make sure ur cpu/cpu fan/heatsink are compatible with ur mobo(socket type) make sure u ram is also compatible, don't buy 1067(10??) ram if your mobo only supports 800. thats about it, for ur first build u could just go with ur cpu's stock fan if you want (make sure it say's retail after the item online that means it comes with a heatsink and fan, usually) there are also many guides on google so do a search if ur nervous. trust me u will be much more satisfied with ur comp if u put all the parts together yourself.

Alright, sounds good to me. THe computer I was previously looking at was $350 bucks, and it was everything I wanted. How much cheaper would this be?

$350? are u buying a 10 year old ibm? what are u using this comp for. give me the specs of this computer. if its good and u not gaming that a steal, my work just bought 3 comps for buisness for $500. hopefully i couldn't have found a better deal else where, pre built.

You would be surprised at the computers out there that are pre-built.... you always want to keep your eyes open because i once saw a computer for sale that had an 8400GS or GT, a q6600, and 4 GB of ram for around $700..
If not for the no overclocking of the cpu, and better video card that would be a high end budget build.
But ya i only saw that twice... Once in some target magazine and another time on woot.com (this was back when things were more expensive too, mainly that cpu)

But building your own comp is the way to go anyways... the first time you build a computer yourself it increases your knowledge 10X... I didn't realize how ignorant i was lol, and still am.

feel free to ignore this if you want^^ The important part is down here VV
But, give your budget, and what you want to do with this new computer, and these guys here will pick you out the best parts you could buy. These forums are really awesome at helping people with limited to no experience .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom