Windows XP Fresh Install or Rewrite windows over top of itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedove

Baseband Member
I'm having trouble with my four year old computer. My brother-in-law says you need to write your operating system over top of itself every six months. I've never heard of that before. Is this true?
Thanks For YOur Advice Wendy

I am assuming he meant doing a repair of the OS. It can be done, but your BiL is full of horse pucky.

"Having trouble"... such as? Unless it is Windows itself causing trouble, you shouldn't have to worry about a reinstall/repair. If it is something else, we can help you fix it.

What kind of system maintenance do you do on your machine, such as spyware/adware scans? Anti-virus? Defragmentation? Cleaning the registry? Deleting temp files? Cleaning up the startup?

I have not heard of this before. Usually you only need to install an os over top of itself when it's fubarded and you need to recover data. IF you must reinstall the os a clean install is always best!

I have not heard of this before. Usually you only need to install an os over top of itself when it's fubarded and you need to recover data. IF you must reinstall the os a clean install is always best!

I agree.

What kind of problems are you having? They may be relatively easy to solve.

Never isntall over just like everyone has said. It will do nothing but create problems. Plus you wont even be able to use the defaults settings as the Windows folder will already be there.

Not to mention it will corrupt most programs. What kinds of problems are you experiencing? How many times have you done this in the past? Some of the problems might be do to re installing the os over top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom