xp wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

unloco96

Beta member
hello,
fortunatly i have two computers, although one of them is DEAD at the moment,
I initially began getting a blue screen saying that windows shut itself down to prevent further damage to itself... it went on to say some more mumbo jumbo but nothing specific. this happened to me a few times, now it wont boot at all,not normally, safe mode, last good configuration, NOTHING. does this mean my HD is completly dead. i have two identical dell D600 laptops (other than HD size and ram). XP was pre installed so i dont even have the installation cd. any help/advice is appreciated as that computer was the one with all the important digital media on it. I run several anti-virus, trojan, spyware, and rootkit programs and all came up with nothing. I even switched HD's to the other computer but it still wouldnt boot. HELP!
Mitch

Sounds like a maybe a bad boot sector.If you dont have any Windows Cd your pretty much out of luck unless you can get one.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-install-xp-without-xp-cd-156805/

Go thru that and create a XP CD. Either that or download one from torrents. As you have Dell Laptops you have the serial sticker on the bottom.

Now you will have to use the CD to go to the recovery console and run the fixboot and fixmbr commands. That is your only option.

Should have come around earlier when you got the BSOD's and we could have prevented this. ;)

Try running a hard drive test download the ultimate boot disk from Ultimate Boot CD - Overview This has the ability to run a hard drive test. Some of the tests can even repair logical damage to a hard drive. This has helped me fix a few damaged xp installs over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom