8800GTS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Darn it, when this happened, I said things that no man should ever hear. I made a post on another forum so I'm just going to quote it verbatim to save time:

I was unscrewing the screws on the back of my G92 GTS to install an aftermarket cooler (AC Accelero S1) and slipped, hitting two very small resistors near the PCI-E input on the bottom! Luckily I was able to locate both resistors in case a repair is possible - I could possibly solder them back on but they are incredible small - I'm 99% sure I can't do it.

Anyway, here's what I need to know... if I decide to test it out, the worst thing that could happen is that I won't get any display right? Do I risk getting a short?

Here's some pics. The first one is one I found on the forums, the second one is my own actual pic, but it's a little blurry. Thanks!

blarghzz0.jpg

arghra0.jpg

So what do you guys think? This sucks, if I'm screwed , $300 down the drain... but at least I might be getting something new in due time, maybe an 3870X2... anyway, let's see if we can get this fixed... should I try it out?

I'm sending in a support ticket. I was worried that they'd refuse to support it because I've uninstalled the stock cooler (and it's very apparent that I've done so, even if I put it backon) BUT they apparently support an aftermarket cooler, so I'm in luck.

I haven't sent them this yet, anything here that would be too bait?

Hi there, I have a very technical issue that needs to be resolved. In reassembling my computer, I noticed that my G92 8800GTS was missing two resistors near the bottom, nearby the PCI-E input.

Here's an image showing these two resistors: http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1796/blarghzz0.jpg

I'm not sure if these resistors were missing from right out of the box, when I first installed the card, but at the time it worked absolutely fine, I've only noticed these missing resistors now, and as a precaution, I'm not going to install the card and risk getting a short! Unless of course you can reassure me that these missing resistors shouldn't be a problem.

In the case that I might need to RMA the card, I would like to confirm that your warranty does in fact cover the installation of an aftermarket cooler, as I have replaced the stock cooler with an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1. My understanding is that your warranty does in fact cover this type of modding. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think it looks fine. I think they'd take care of you, especially seeing that they support the aftermarket cooler.

I also think that they would definitely be a problem, just because of where they are. There right in the links that run from the input to the rest of the card. Man, how much pressure were you putting on the card to knock those clean off?

I think it looks fine. I think they'd take care of you, especially seeing that they support the aftermarket cooler.

I also think that they would definitely be a problem, just because of where they are. There right in the links that run from the input to the rest of the card. Man, how much pressure were you putting on the card to knock those clean off?

Very little force actually! I was really surprised as to how easily they fell off! They just fell off like a piece of dirt. Weird. :D

Dont get technical at all.

Just tell them you just put the card in a couple days ago and it was working fine at the time. Suddenly when you turned the computer on you didn't get any display.

If you get too technical it starts looking fishy. I.E. how would you know that because those two resistors were missing the card doesn't work.

Play the part of a tech idiot and you should be fine.

Dont get technical at all.

Just tell them you just put the card in a couple days ago and it was working fine at the time. Suddenly when you turned the computer on you didn't get any display.

If you get too technical it starts looking fishy. I.E. how would you know that because those two resistors were missing the card doesn't work.

Play the part of a tech idiot and you should be fine.

Yeah, that's actually a pretty good idea. If those resister are necessary, then the card probably wouldn't have worked (properly, if at all) if they were missing when you got it. So it may become obvious to them that you knocked them off the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom