Hard Drive not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

In Runtime
I have 4 hard drives, three of which have bee used on my computer. Now it does not recognize them. I checked the jumpers, reset bios, nothing. They are IDE drives.

No, it doesn't detect it in the BIOS. It just says unknown device.

Motheboard: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS, Version: 1.10 A02
Ram: 256k
Computer: Dell Dimension 4300

Have you tried one at a time? Are these drives formatted? Do they have partitions?

If they aren't even detected in BIOS, try checking the jumper settings. If you have the master and the slave both set to master, they won't be recognised.
Like sPlAtOiD ses, try one drive at a time. Also, if you have another drive you know is working, try installing that (to rule out other hardware failure).

Have you tried one at a time? Are these drives formatted? Do they have partitions?

Yes. Kind of. Kind of.

They are all formatted, and all have partitions, but only one has a working operating system on it, the other one got a corrupted version of XP. The one that has the working one also has that problem. Now that I got the new disk to fix it, it stopped recognizing it.

Also, if you have another drive you know is working, try installing that (to rule out other hardware failure).

I did that. It won't detect anything through the BIOS, ewxcept the stock cd drive and floppy that came with my computer.

Try resetting the bios, and changing the IDE cables. If that doesn't work, I'd say its a hardware problem with the motherboard. Get it replaced if its under warranty.

Try resetting the bios, and changing the IDE cables. If that doesn't work, I'd say its a hardware problem with the motherboard. Get it replaced if its under warranty.

Did that. The mobo isn't under warrenty.

Thanks everyone, but with all the problems I've been having lately, I'm just going to purchase a new computer.

If its detecting the cdrom unhook it and put the hard drive on that ribben cable. If you still get nothing you have something wrong with your drives. I'm not sure what but something isnt right with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom