CPU fan not working, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambra

Solid State Member
ok, so i am building a new comp and was just doing a quick test by powering it on. all of the system fans work, except the CPU fan. What's the deal with it?

Try plugging the cpu fan into another fan header on the motherboard.
If that doesn't work then the fan might be dead. If it works, then the cpu fan header might be dead.

Thanks, it works now!!

One more problem though, everytime I turn it on it makes a long nonstop screeching sound like something is wrong with the motherboard. Is it that I don't have something plugged in right? (like could it be that i don't have the cpu fan connected to the proper header?

I can't really say, the only thing that I can think of that will make screeching sounds are the hard drives and fans.

Try to listen carefully where it's coming from and take out parts to narrow down the source of the noise if you can't figure it out.

ok, so i've gone back to listen to it for a bit. sounds like its either coming from video card or from the power supply... i can't really tell. When I try to power it up though, nothing comes on my monitor, just that long annoying beep sound.

this is extremely embarrasing, i forgot to put the power cord in the video card..... but thank you so VERY VERY much for helping me with the CPU fan issue.

Well, having the fan plugged into a different header will not cause it to make noise. Plus if the cpu fan header on the motherboard is not working I would return the board. Even a minor problem like that could indicate something more serious later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom