Vista Home Premium 64-bit Compatibility Issues/"DSP"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, thanks. So I'll get 32-bit Vista. If I dual-boot with XP, how big should each partition be (Vista and XP)-- and does the OS itself get a partition or does the OS+the files you can access with it get a partition?

I have it setup that the OS and all apps get installed on teh same partition.

XP has 50GB and Vista has 75GB of space for me personally. But Vista should have around 40GB and XP can do good with 30GB. Other than that it is up to your discreation.

I have it setup that the OS and all apps get installed on teh same partition.

XP has 50GB and Vista has 75GB of space for me personally. But Vista should have around 40GB and XP can do good with 30GB. Other than that it is up to your discretion.

Thanks. I couldn't find anything regarding dual-booting and partitions with XP and Vista on Google, mainly just Linux and XP. Also, I used the default partitions on XP on my last build (3 years ago :D), so I don't really have experience with when, where, or how to set partitions.

If I have, for example, a 100 MB .AVI file on a 300 GB HDD, and I have the same partition setup as you, would the AVI file exist on the remaining 175 GB? And could it be accessed only on the OS on which it was created?

Thanks again for your help.

The file would be accessed by both OS's easily. I have several partitions on my other 2 hard drives that are accessed by both XP and Vista with no issue. I have things for storage, data, music, movies and so on. All can be accessed by both XP and Vista with no problem.

Thanks. Are partitions set in the BIOS? Do the XP/Vista boot disks recognize the partitions?

No partitions are not recognized in the BIOS. They are recognized by the OS. My partitions are recognized by XP/Vista/Ubuntu with no problems thru any of them.

Yes the Install disks will recognize the partitions.

So basically I install one OS first, and it doesn't matter which. Then, I insert the other OS' disk, restart, and it'll recognize the partitions and ask me where and how big the partitions should be? Isn't there some way to ensure that it either asks me which one every time I boot or not?

How will it work with the Hibernate option for XP (and Vista?)?

If it somehow does work with Hibernate, can I leave applications running on one OS while I use the other?

I would install XP first. But you idea of partitions is off. You have to setup the partitions first before you install.

Vista XP Dual Boot - Understand the basics - The NeoSmart Forums

Read thru that. It will give you more insite.

As for your Hibernation. You got the wrong idea on that as well. You can only use 1 OS at a time. There is no way, unless you use Virtual Machines, to control 1 OS while in another. Dual booting you will either go to XP and use XP or log into Vista and use Vista. There is no hibernating XP and then using Vista. you will have to restart and choose Vista from the boot menu.

I would install XP first. But you idea of partitions is off. You have to setup the partitions first before you install.

Vista XP Dual Boot - Understand the basics - The NeoSmart Forums

Read thru that. It will give you more insite.

As for your Hibernation. You got the wrong idea on that as well. You can only use 1 OS at a time. There is no way, unless you use Virtual Machines, to control 1 OS while in another. Dual booting you will either go to XP and use XP or log into Vista and use Vista. There is no hibernating XP and then using Vista. you will have to restart and choose Vista from the boot menu.

Thanks! I'd say "You've just enlightened me" but everything sounds sarcastic on the internet :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom