Xp Suddenly Goes Into Shutdown !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunoboy

Baseband Member
My xp machine will sometimes go into shutdown by itself ,out of the blue !
Right this minute the shutdown options box suddenly appeared on the screen as i am typing this ! This is very weird . Could this be a virus ? Thats the first time the shutdown options screen has appeared ! Really need help on this . Its a first for me . Been using windows for donkeys ages and never had it before .
Look for to hearing from anyone with some fault finding tips . :confused:

Go to the Virus section and follow Osiris's Guide to spyware removal. Post a HiJack This log in the Analyze area. After that comes back clean let me know if this problem still persists.

You can stop the shutdown by clicking start, run and typing shutdown /a.

Thats what happened to me when I had the blaster worm back in the day, your using sp1 or sp2 right?

You can stop the shutdown by clicking start, run and typing shutdown /a.

Thats what happened to me when I had the blaster worm back in the day, your using sp1 or sp2 right?

Xp service pk 2 . I had to install Netframework 2 from microsoft in order to have the ATI Catalist control centre to install properly to manage the settings on the ATI Raedon graphics card . On a LCD screen it is just too bright without the control panel . Don't know if that has anything to do with it . The xp install is from disk and so is service pk2 . Error scan comes up good , no errors no bad clusters . Thanks mate .

Go to the Virus section and follow Osiris's Guide to spyware removal. Post a HiJack This log in the Analyze area. After that comes back clean let me know if this problem still persists.

Used Vunudu etc nothing found . Ran AVG-ANTISPY AND ADAWARE SE BOTH DEEP SCANS . Both found threats low and medium . Downloaded Spwware Doctor and it found about 16 , 6 were very high ! I am using Comodo antivirus and it has found none . Also ran the microsoft free security scan and it found nothing . So i don't know for sure . Been running constant for about 10 hours now with no problems at all . Thanks for the link and help .

Thanks to everyone for the help . Windows has been running fine now for about 10 hours non stop . If it was Spyware , virus still not sure . Spyware Doctor picked up some high risk threats that avg and adaware did'nt . Maybe i was hacked , cause i have'nt heard of any viruses that will make the shutdown options suddenly pop up ! Windows security scan and Vundu Fix found nothing either . So i'm sorry to say i still cant put my finger on it . Is there a keyboard shortcut that will make windows go into shutdown or bring up the shutdown options screen ? Could be a keyboard problem ? What i am going to do is shrink the windows partition and install PCLinux an the new partition just to rule out hardware . Plus i love PCLinux also with its 3D desktop etc . Very similar to Mac .
Will post again in a few days to follow up . Just thinking , to my mind it cant be hardware , ie; psu or bios related ,cpu , or it would just shut off . Thats not what was happening . It was actually going through the proper saving settings , log off and then shutdown . Thanks again all , im off to bed . Brunoboy .

Meh, simple batch file running that is, probberly a mate did that to you. Check your windows startup folder, bet theres a .bat in there, delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TKay for the help . There are no startup items at all in my username or default user programs-startup folder . There were only 3 in ALL USERS . They were shortcuts to Speedfan , Microsoft Office and Adobe Reader. None are bats files from what i can make out from properties . When i run msconfig-startup there was plenty more in there as i expected , Nero check , Phototoolkit . There is one which i think has to do with the ATI Radeon 9600 control panel ,
dumpprep 0-k%systemroot%.... Anyway not sure what it is but not game to tamper with that one . I deleted Office and Adobe from the startup folder , don't want them running anyway. In MSCONFIG THERE IS ALSO ONE OTHER ENTRY TICKED WITH NO DESRIPTION AT ALL !, JUST A BOX WITH A TICK . Thanks again , will soldier on with this thing and see what happens today . Cheers .

:) Thanks to all for the help. The system is no longer shutting down by itself. In the XP power saving options i have made sure "WHEN I PRESS THE POWER BUTTON ON MY COMPUTER " is set to "DO NOTHING". Don't know why but it seems to have worked. Changed the power switch on the tower anyway . I think i will put it down to a corrupt install because the DVDROM UNIT was dodgy to start with. It had problems reading data from other disks and vibrates terribly now. IN THE BIN WITH IT !! Sorry its taken so long to follow up but ive been flat out working etc. Thanks again ALL. By the way are you supposed to close the thread when your done, or solved ?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom