graphics car question

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Hi, I'm lookin' for a graphics card for my friend, because he wants to upgrade from his crappy integrated graphics thats in his dell or whatever he has so he can play cod4. I noticed that the for the 8600gt and may also be true for other models, but that one has 256mb of memory with core clock at 620mhz while another had 512mb of memory and a core clock at 540mhz. My question is which would be better, i would think the first because that clock speed is faster, but i guess it could be the other cause of the memory, so if someone could clear this up for me, that would be very much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Clock speed and memory is only relevant when comparing cards of the same core. An 8600gt will run cod4, but at low settings. An 8800gt 256mb at 600mhz core would destroy am 8600gt/gts 512mb at 650 core.

edit: Just reread the post. The second 8600gt would be better, but still pretty crappy.

So, just so I can get a better understanding, if a card has more memory, but a slower core speed, it will still perform better than a card that has less memory but faster core speed. being that both cards are the same model.

and my friend isn't looking to get the best gaming experience out of the card, he just wants to be able to play with a res at least at 800x600 or the 1024x768 without the extreme lag. cause on his integrated graphics he has now, I turned all his settings to the lowest, and it still had mad lag.â™ 

Whats the most he can spend? The higher memory does make a difference with newer games and at higher resolutions. For $80 he can get an x1900 which will play games better than an 8600gt, way better. For $160 he can get an 8800gs which blows the x1900 away.

he's lookin' to spend around 100-120, but would hesitatingly go higher. so i'll let him know his options, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom