Setting up dual dlisplay with a NVidia Ge4 MX 4000 graphics card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sspeedy00

Beta member
Hello everyone!
First post here :) I'm a programmer who knows nothing about pc hardware etc., so my new year's resolution is to get more involved with pc/tech type things.

So I feel the need to setup dual display, since I have two monitors at work. I love having the extra screen space. My pc is a few years old, started off being a pure Gateway, then I think someone tried to tweak it a bit.. but still, a Gateway.

Ok, so it shows that I have an NVidia Ge4 MX 4000 graphics card (128 mb). I've done a search to see if this card supports dual display setup... and I'm not sure if I've found a clear answer. When I look at the back of the pc, I see the connection (vga?) and an s-vid output, but not a div one. Yet, in another spot, near where the keyboard/mouse plugs go in, I see a similar vga-type connection, where the monitor connection fits.

Does someone know if dual displays are even possible with this particular card? If anyone needs anymore info, let me know. Ask any qyestion. Keep in mind I'm not a tech-person, so be patient ;)

i think you got 1 intergrated VGA on your motherboard and 1 vga on your videocard. Dual vga display is compaiable on your computer.

hmm well first go to control pannel and go to the nvidia control panel. Next under display go to change display configeration. and use both displays. if u had an ATI card, dual moniter would be automitcally enabled

You will need to get a new GPU so that you will have two VGA ports or one VGA and one DVI or two DVIs. I remomend (If you are not a gamer) a nvidia 8400GS which is about £25. But really anycard with two video outputs would be fine. Once you have both your monitors hook 'em up and you can choose whether you can extend the desktop over two screens or duplicate one etc...its pretty simple to do.

nah 1 onboard and 1 agp card is enough

i used to run some on board via graphics with a matrox pci card. Those companies are dead now but they compoments i have today still work in tip top shape.

Hello,

Is your Nvidia GeForce 4 MX4000 graphics card an AGP graphics card?

Normally, you can't use onboard and AGP graphics simultaneously. You can only use one or the other. It depends on your motherboard, however.

In this case, I'd suggest you do what nickm926 said to do (that is, buy a new graphics card with dual monitor support).

VIA is alive and well. They still make onboard graphics, and it is VIA CPUs in the Eee.

nah 1 onboard and 1 agp card is enough
my i.t. teacher uses his onboard and 1 nvidia pci to run dual monitors... and it works great for him.

i never knew you could run gpu and the onboard chip at the same time with two screens, thanks guys I learnt today :)

Oh and as said before it may not work with AGP althoug I personally dont see any problem with trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom