Problem with Monior resolutions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodgybro

Beta member
Hey Guys...
Yesterday I purchased a new monitor (22" Widescreen LCD), I got home, plugged everything in (using VGA cables) and everything was sweet with it running in 1440 x 900. Today, I get home and I chose to swap to the DVI cables insted, mainly because of what everyone on the net was saying about how good they are insted of 'old school' VGA connections.

Well, now I can't seem to get 1440 x 900 any more. Its recomended resolution for this monitor is 1680 x 1050, which is what I'm using at the moment.

Can someone please explain why I cant get my good old 1440 x 900 back? I want it for games and all, as my computers speed and all isnt good enough to run games in 1680 x 1050...

So far I'v tryed
- Reinstalling graphics drivers
- Reinstalling monitor drivers
- Downloading new monitor drivers and trying them
- Downloading new graphics drivers and trying them

So basicly I'm stumped... = (

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. I'm using a GeForce 8600 GT, with a 4000+ AMD X2...

I ran the vga first for a month and now have the DVI cable plugged in now so I could test both out for a 19" wide screen model that was used to replace a 4 1/2yr. old 17' model. No change in resolution seen while I did have to download drivers for Vista separately since the model came out ahead of the new version.

With the DVI cable now plugged in Windows simply redetected and changed to the higher resolution automatically for the larger 22" lcd you have. Try going into the advanced section of the display settings to look over the list of supported resolutions and select 1440x900 there to see if that will work.

Otherwise you may have to remove all video drivers to see a clean install for the video card or revert back to the vga cable. XP or Vista there?

Im running XP. THanks for your help there...

I have the Nvidia control panel thing, I tryed running a custom res at 1440 x 900, but it said it wasnt compatable or something... Kinda ****ing me off. lol

Regards,
Ryan

When first buying the new lcd here you couldn't get the resolution to go higher then the Windows max. The driver disk was worthless for Vista being XP drivers seen there. Once the Vista set was downloaded and installed 1440x900 was instantly available.

Incompatible suggests that the drivers are for Vista and you grabbed those by mistake? Or there's a problem with Windows and DVI there? Here even with the 1440x900 desktop the older games run see a max of 1152x862. Once you exit a game the desktop returns to the resolution that is set at.

simple math. that isn't a true 16x9 resolution platform so your digital output is struggling with it

Sounds more like a problem with the NVidia desktop manager if something there went on bad. One way to find out would be choosing the uninstall option in the right click menu for the monitor while in the device manager. That will return Windows to the default vga drivers with a max of 1280x1024.

You reinstalled the drivers for the monitor but did you first try removing them? If the wrong set was installed it may have caused a problem with the NVidia software if those were Vista drivers.

The monitor resolution needs to stay at 1680x1050, or else it will look like crap. The games resolution is changed inside the game, not the nvidia control panel.

The problem there is the inability to reduce the desktop resolution down from the current 1680x1050 to 1440x900 suggesting the detection by Windows is taking charge especially is there's a gltich with the NVidia software or a fault with the DVI cable or port.

Games have their own limitations with newer ones seeing a higher then 1280x1024 max at times. 1280x1024 0n any wide screen display looks bloated sideways. The "recommended" settings work for any HD lcd for sure.

Okeis.
The monitor CD i got only came with one driver for my monitor, no XP Vista or ME specifics.

I know the res of games must be changed ingame. COD4 for example, i could choose 1440 x 900 previously, but changing to the DVI plugs made it only available in 1680 x 1050.

The monitor is 16:10. not 16:9...

I think its ok... im pretty happy with the res... =S
But still wouldent mind it in 1440 x 900...

Okeis.
The monitor CD i got only came with one driver for my monitor, no XP Vista or ME specifics.

I know the res of games must be changed ingame. COD4 for example, i could choose 1440 x 900 previously, but changing to the DVI plugs made it only available in 1680 x 1050.

The monitor is 16:10. not 16:9...

I think its ok... im pretty happy with the res... =S
But still wouldent mind it in 1440 x 900...

potato, potaato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom