How To Make Window's startup faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
A combination of things can really make a difference at times. Often a first step is to go into the msconfig utility and reduce the amount on unnecessary items that start up along with Windows. That can be a plus at freeing up resources there.

Once you have made a good number of changes like seeing various programs installed and later removed you will too often see "orphans" still lingering in the system registry trying to load drivers for something no longer installed. That's where a good registry cleaner comes in.

For all versions of Windows from 95 through to Vista there's one good free one where you can view all non MS programs installed and includes an automatic registry cleanup tool called RegCleaner. Regcleaner

When first opening that you see the newest entries listed at the top of the main window where you can even catch adwares at times! and simply see their main reg key removed.

For Vista one blog show 10 ways to speed up performance seen at 10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows Vista | Connected Internet

The screen shot there simply shows how that section looks in Vista in the msconfig for setting the timeout seen on the right side there. If I was currenly dual booting XP instead of seeing both as stand alone OSs you would also see the additional entry for the older version there with the option for setting that as the default OS to load.

The one thing to remember about dual booting the two versions however is the loss of Vista's own restore points. There's a work around to see those preserved however in the guide written by an MS MVP seen at John Barnett's Windows Vista Support: Prevent System Restore Points Being Lost When Dual Booting With Windows XP
Yes Computer Guru and myself know of this issue with the Restore Points and are working on HnS. Also known as Hide and Seek.

Basically this will hide the XP partition from the Vista partition so that you dont lose your restore points. Guru is about to release teh first Beta after going thru the first 34 alpha builds with me and a few other people working out as many of the bugs as we can before Beta release.

Even without that we have a workaround as well booting with NeoGRUB. It does this trick as well. Where you can hide 2 or more partitions from Vista so that you keep your restore points.

So there has been a lot of work done since Vista was released to get these quirks that M$ programmed into Vista fixed. ;)

i remember when i did dual boot, i forgot to change the timeout range and i was like wtf...i can never choose but later figured it out!

Ah you solved my problem, im gonna try thiswhen I get home cos I'm currently on a works laptop

Yes Computer Guru and myself know of this issue with the Restore Points and are working on HnS. Also known as Hide and Seek.

Basically this will hide the XP partition from the Vista partition so that you dont lose your restore points. Guru is about to release teh first Beta after going thru the first 34 alpha builds with me and a few other people working out as many of the bugs as we can before Beta release.

Even without that we have a workaround as well booting with NeoGRUB. It does this trick as well. Where you can hide 2 or more partitions from Vista so that you keep your restore points.

So there has been a lot of work done since Vista was released to get these quirks that M$ programmed into Vista fixed. ;)

When you have a few things ready pm me on those. I give them a good look over since once a new larger sata drive is in here the current ide model with Vista on it will be gone.

There also one article I came across on how to hide a Vista partition from XP. I don't know how that will work since I generally prefer ready access between both. I'm still trying to figure how to get Solaris 10 running here along with a Vista/XP multiboot at some point. :D

Doesnt Solaris use GRUB? If so then i am sure that Guru can guide you. The Wiki page on Linux might be of help as well.

We are still working out a few more bugs that we were recently given notice of. Another person trying the Alpha gave us more info on how it wasnt working on their system so yet another build before the Beta has to be put out and tested.

I know this isnt the ideal situation. But at least it is a solution to allow for the safe keeping of Restore points in Vista. That is our goal.

Solaris 10 won't evem install here while Mandriva went right on immediately when downloading that for the last build here. That was about two months before Vista was released trying a multiboot with XP Pro/Mandriva/Solaris 10 on the second ide drive there while XP Home sat on the primary host.

Loading stage 2....

GNU GRUB version 0.95 ( xxK lower /
xxK upper memory) Solaris Operating System - How to Quickly Install the Solaris 10 8/07 OS on x86 Systems

Solaris 10 just like any Linux distro is still a UNIX based OS for the most part. The thing I thought then was it was proprietary only and needed to recognise a SUN chip on the system while questioning the I386 standard reference.

Upon another look I noticed the 10gb minimum requirement for drive space which probably explains why the installation saw a halt. You live and learn I guess! :p It's been a few years since I was getting things together and trying out cross platform universal type boot loaders that used different means. boot floppy like the ubuntu boot manager, gui buttons for each OS, Grub, Lilo, etc. then.

Without a dual boot in progress now I will have to wait to see how the work around in the other article goes. I noticed that Vista's restore feature no longer shows a calendar but simply lists points by date rather then choosing a day now. Time to manually create points on your own daily I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom