PCIe 2.0 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I cant decide what motherboard to get!!! its either Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
OR
Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
i just want a PC that will last me another 2 years or so for gaming. I already have a ultra xfinity 600w dual 12v rails (38amps total) and an 8800GT SC.
here are the rest of the parts, i play on taking the q6600 to atleast 3ghz. i am unsure if i will go SLI in the future. will this new setup run crysis at high?

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - OEM
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! dont need a huge cpu fan, everyone said that will get the job done)

no..

no card takes advantage of the full 1.6 bus, so don't expect much (if any) performance gain

no 1 has answered my question yet though, should i get the motherboard with the 2.0, or just stick with the p35?

i already own an 8800GT SC, but i think my 3200+ single core 2ghz is bottlenecking it, right? i get terrible fps in crysis on all high settings, 1440x900 resolution. Do u think with my new setup i will be able to run crysis no problem? will the q6600 @ 3ghz really unleash the full potential of my video card?

also, in 3dmark06 i benchmarked 5k ( i will have 2gb corsair ddr2 in new rig) will my score be like 11k?

no 1 has answered my question yet though, should i get the motherboard with the 2.0, or just stick with the p35?

Once the 9800 comes out I'm jumping on a board with pci 2.0. Many people 3 or 4 years ago told me that pci-e might not make it and so I bought agp like a month before pci-e was released, and it kind of has limited me (not all that much though). If you also look at the first pci-e cards, their agp counterparts weren't all that different performance wise, but now they are worlds apart. So if future proofing is your goal, I would recommend you get the board with pci-e 2.0.

also, in 3dmark06 i benchmarked 5k ( i will have 2gb corsair ddr2 in new rig) will my score be like 11k?

I have a Q6600 and an 8800GT and get about that so pretty much yea.

Go with P35, PCI 2.0 is backwards compatible and graphics cards don't even fully use normal 16x yet.

Once the 9800 comes out I'm jumping on a board with pci 2.0. Many people 3 or 4 years ago told me that pci-e might not make it and so I bought agp like a month before pci-e was released, and it kind of has limited me (not all that much though). If you also look at the first pci-e cards, their agp counterparts weren't all that different performance wise, but now they are worlds apart. So if future proofing is your goal, I would recommend you get the board with pci-e 2.0.

AGP and PCI-e are two different sorts of slots. PCI-e 2.0 and the current are the same sort of slot, 2.0 just has more capacity to transfer data. However, graphics cards don't even make full use of the current specification yet, so you don't really need 2.0 to be future-proof. Besides, it's impossible to future-proof, by the time you need 2.0 you'll probably need a new motherboard for the new socket that new CPUs will require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom