Not open for further replies.

adam02

In Runtime
DFI- Lanparty Ultra-D 939
AMD 3700+ San diego 939
Some RAM i got off ebay 2x1GB ddr400
western Digital 250GB
Hiper Type-R 580 watt PSU

Ive done dozens of fresh windows XP home installs, so im convinced its a hardware problem.

Ok so before anyone points out the RAM, the system has been great for ages with it, and i used Memtest and it picked up no errors.

Basically what happens is a lot of the time when i boot up the PC.

The DFI splash comes up. and will stay up and the HDD led is on full and nothing happens.

Or it could be at any time. Itll freeze up, HDD LED on full. Or itll make the shutting down noise (Not the windows sound) then freeze up at any point.

And you know that sound when you've finished shutting down your PC. Itll sound like the powers been cut and the PC is off. The sound that literally sounds like "Shut down". When all the fans and everything slow to a hault!

THAT SOUND!

Well thats the sound itll make at random points and the whole PC will freeze up. During boot, during idle, Anytime.

I tried clearing CMOS but that hasnt helped.

I dont know what to do.

Thanks.

Check to see if you have hibernation enabled and disable it if you do. Also check your hard drive it could be going bad. You can do a complete on startup to see if your drive has errors on it.

Yeah you could check for bad sectors and whatnot with chkdsk on startup, I had a friends, friend that had this problem in the past too, his computer would freeze up like that anytime, but what happened with his was some of his pins on his HDD were bent or broke, tho I don't really see that happening very easily.

How long did you run memtest??? You may want to run it up to 24 hours for any slight chance the ram has gone bad. Also, have you hooked a multimeter up to the PSU on the 12v and 5V rails to monitor for a power spike or drop in the voltage? It sounds as if it is a power issue to me, a bad sector on a hard drive would cause a BSOD before it would cause the system to freeze and act like it's going into hybernation or standby... Even then, that only happens if you push a button or let it sit idle for a period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom