Vista Home Premium 64-bit Compatibility Issues/"DSP"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeller

In Runtime
Review from TigerDirect said:
"One thing you want to do is to go to your mother boards website and make sure they have all the 64 bit vista drivers you need. That is a big step before using 64 bit vista. You might have to reinstall some 64 bit versions of software and Hardware drivers. No big deal. And if you play Games some games don't install yet on 64 bit so be careful before you buy new ones."

--Is the part about the games true?

--What is a DSP OEM OS?
(I know what OEM/OS are, but DSP?

No.

DSP (Delivery Service Partner)

It would be avised to make sure the games CAN run on 64 Bit as some of them wont. But it is not true that all games dont work on 64 Bit.

So like...Is 32-bit better? Compatibility-wise? Or at least how can I find out, if, for example, and older game can run on 64-bit? I really don't want to have to dual-boot...

It depends on how old of a game you are talking about. The only way to find out is to go to the site and check teh system compatibilties.

32 Bit has been teh standard since the beginning. Sadly it has lived it life and is now being replaced by 64 Bit. 32 Bit can only handle 3.5GB of RAM MAX. while 64 Bit can handle upwards of 128GB of RAM MAX.

It depends on how old of a game you are talking about. The only way to find out is to go to the site and check teh system compatibilties.

32 Bit has been teh standard since the beginning. Sadly it has lived it life and is now being replaced by 64 Bit. 32 Bit can only handle 3.5GB of RAM MAX. while 64 Bit can handle upwards of 128GB of RAM MAX.

Hm...I mean...I like a lot of old games :(.
For example, Counter-Strike 1.6, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, C&C: Zero Hour, and the list goes on...

You think, since I'm not trying to break any records with this PC (I'll pretty much drool at anything better than my 1 GB DDR, Athlon 64 1.8GHz, AGP Radeon 9550 PC), so I just want the most compatibility but still some good speed. Should I get Vista Ultimate and Dual-boot?

I would suggest Vista Home Premium 32 Bit and to dual boot. As 1GB on Vista is just not enough.

The reason i suggest Home Premium is that Ultimate does not show me that it is worth it. The Ultimate Extras are BitLocker, HoldEm Poker and Dreamscene. None of which make Ultimate worth the extra Money.

Nooooooo, that PC I listed was my old PC!
I'm saying that I don't want to make my new PC a god PC. Like is there anything that I will really be dissapointed with with the support of "only" 3.5 GB of RAM?

I have 3GB and that is more than enough RAM for Vista. Unless you are a hard core gamer you dont really need that much RAM. Even running Vista with 2GB and using many applicaitons i still have yet to make Vista lag and crash.

I have 3GB and that is more than enough RAM for Vista. Unless you are a hard core gamer you dont really need that much RAM. Even running Vista with 2GB and using many applicaitons i still have yet to make Vista lag and crash.

Is this 64-bit Vista or 32-bit?

And doesn't video-editing devour RAM (which I do), especially HD video (which I don't do yet)? Also, I guess you could consider me a "hardcore" gamer, but I play mostly the games I listed above and will be playing things like the Orange Box.

I think I'll see how it does with 2 GB. I just need to decide which Vista, if any, I should get.

I run 32 Bit Vista. I have done Video Editing and at the same time Ran Zune to play music and was also browsing the net with multiple tabs open. No lag.

Hardcore gamers are people who play games like Assassin's Creed that recommends 3GB of RAM to run smoothly. Playing the Orange Box over Steam is not hard core. The requirements for Steam are very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom