Messenger error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewgen1

Baseband Member
Hello all. A couple months ago I posted about an error I ws having with Windows Messenger, and not being able to log in. Well, since then I have performed a fairly intense search for information regarding this problem. Regretablly I still havent figured it out. I hope that maybe witht he additional information that I have gathered someone here woudl be able to help me further.

The problem started when I was using Windows Messenger (4.7 I believe). One day when I tried to sign on the windows messenger simply would not connect (it would not give me an error message of any kind). Thinking that perhaps Messenger had been updated I went online to download the new version. The new version was MSN Messenger 6.2.0133. Once I installed the new messenger and tried to log on it gave me an error message that said:

There was a problem connecting you to MSN Messenger. Click Troubleshoot for help with this problem. Error Code: 0x81000365.

When I click the troubleshoot button it says that there are no programs or settings that could be causing this problem on my computer and to please try to sign in again later. I have been trying to sign in again later for more than 3 months now. Every time it gives me the same error message. When I got no response from my first attempt with MicrosoftÂ’s technical support I decided to take matters into my own hands and have spent a great deal of time re-searching this problem. From what I can tell Error 81000365 is a problem with my firewall, but I only have the default windows XP firewall. I tried downloading the Service Pack 2 update in order to get the newer firewall, but this has not done anything to fix the problem. I have also updated to the more recent MSN Messenger 6.2.0137. The error still persists. Here is a brief list of the additional things I that have been suggested to me in an attempt to solve this problem:

1. Tried the Regsvr commands (softpub.dll and some others)
2. Turned off/on the standard windows XP firewall.
3. D-loaded XP SP2 to get thge newer firewall.
4. Added an exception for Messenger.
5. Checked Norton settings.
6. Un-installed/re-installed messenger (numerous times)
7. Removed messenger regkey.
8. Changed my password.
9. Contacted my ISP.
10. Typed "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\msiexec.exe /regserver" in the command line
11. Removed NewDotNet domains software.
12. D-loaded Messenger2 and installed.
13. Tried using java based messenger substitute.
14. I checked the date and time (I synced them with "time.windows.com")
15. Adding the individual Messenger ports to the windows firewall "exceptions" list.

I do not have any form of broadband, and all of the MSN sites (MSN.com, hotmail.com, ect.) work just fine.

A nearly complete text of my attempted solutions can be found near the end of this thread:

http://forums.happy-messaging.com/discus/messages/35/1423.html

I sincerely hope that someone, anyone, can give me a solution. And for anyone that does, I would like to thank you in advance, so: Thank you.

Well i did everything that you suggested and I have gotten no change in the error. Does aynone know what error 81000365 actually is?

r u using zone alarm or something? that may cause a problem, but first try this:

Fix for MSN Messenger 6.1 Sign On Problems

A new version of MSN Messenger 6.1 was released (6.1.0203), and some people are no longer able to log in. Here's how to fix this silly little problem: Go to File, Choose "Sign In..." (the one without your email address). Put your passport email address and password in. Sign in. That's it.

I think with this new version they changed how passwords are stored when you use "Allow automatic sign in when connected to the Internet" and this changes the saved password.

or try

1. Go into Start -> Run

2. Type "msiexec /unreg" without the quotes

3. Go into Start -> Run again

4. Type "msiexec /regserver" without the quotes

5. Download latest bersion of MSN http://g.msn.com/7MEEN_US/EN/SETUPDL.EXE

or hell, just look at this site:

http://www.dylan95.com/blog.asp?blogID=335

No I am not using zonealarm, norton internet security or any other firewall. I *only* have the default windows XP firewall, and I have opened ports, added exceptions, and turned it off, all without any results. I have tried typing in my signin name automatically as well, but hta has not had any effect. My MEssenger version is 6.2.0137 and I have tried many of the "regserver" types of commands. Oh, and Ive already been to the Dylan green website, but they coudltn help me so I was directed to another forum ,and then another, and so on.

<rant>I dont really know why it is that everyone keeps giving me the same suggestions over and over again, but I have to say thats its more than a little dissapointing that I have to repeat myself when i said that I had already done all of this in my first post here:mad:. </rant>

That being said, thank you Killian for you suggestion, and i hope I havent berated you for the wrong reasons, its just starting to get anoying since I have had to do the same thing at several other forums.

Next idea...?

what does event viewer say? any DCOM error event id's? also, what programs are running in the background? have you tried to create another account? if so, same thing happen, or can you create a new account and have no problems? can u directly access hotmail with your passport, or do you get the same error?

Event viewer says everythign is jsut peachy. There were a couple errors erarlier today, but hey were casued by some services that I had turned off for efficieny reasons. As for whats running int he background: Norton Antivirus(NOT a firewall), Creative volume control, Epson Stylus CX4500, and NVidia control panel.

If you meant processes then:
AGRSMMSG.exe
alg.exe
ccApp.exe
CCEVTMGR.exe
csrss.exe
CTDVDDET.exe
ctfmon.exe
CTHELPER.exe
CTsysVol.exe
Directcd.exe
dllhost.exe
E_S00RP1.exe
E_S4I2G1.exe
explorer.exe
iexplore.exe
lsass.exe
mdm.exe
msdtc.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
NAVAPSVC.exe
nvsvc32.exe
RcMan.exe
rundll32.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (6 different instances)
System
System Idle Process
takmgr.exe
usrmlnka.exe (3 different instances)

Yes I have tried making other accounts and indead I have tried several of my friends accounts. Hotmail works just fine with no errors.

any idea what the errors were? they maybe indirectly related... have you tried to install an ealier version of messenger? happen on any other messenger services? wonder if maybe its something else causing the error loading in the background. Have you used hijackthis and post it? Oh yeah! can you log in from another computer?

well, this is the only other thing I can say to try, from another post, not sure if you tried this but after this, you've tried about everything I would ever think of aside from the hijackthis log. Sorry if you've tried these, but hell if I know (post the log, though... just in case since IE and MS messenger are close)

1. If you are running any third party software or have a
firewall such as Zone Alarm, you may want to disable those
applications and then try to log in to MSN Messenger -
sometimes third party applications will conflict with
other applications. If you are unsure how to do this,
refer to your third party application instructions or
help.
Note: Once you have successfully signed into MSN
Messenger you may re-enable your firewall.

2. You may need to update your Internet Explorer to the
latest version. To do so please go here:
http://microsoft.com/windows/ie/

3. Your IE security settings may need to be adjusted.
1. From the Internet Explorer menu, click "Tools" and
then click "Internet Options".
2. In the "Internet Options" dialog box, open
the "Advanced" tab.
3. Scroll to the security setting section and ensure that
you have 'check for server certificate revocation'
unchecked and that the 'Use SSL 2.0' and 'Use SSL 3.0' are
both checked, then click ok.

4. You may also need to adjust your proxy settings. To do
this:

First,

1. From the Internet Explorer menu, click "Tools" and
then click "Internet Options".
2. In the "Internet Options" dialog box, open
the "Connections" tab.
3. Click "LAN Settings".
4. Clear the "Automatically Detect Settings" checkbox.
5. Click "OK" to save the setting and then click "OK"
again.

Second,

1. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options".
2. On the "Connection" tab, be sure the "I use a
proxy server" check box is clear. Because only certain
proxy servers require this, do not select this option
unless your network administrator tells you to do so.

To assist us in making MSN Messenger better for our next
release, please reply to this email and let us know which
(if any) of the above options resolved your sign in
issue.

For additional online help, please go to:
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/

Sincerely,

Ruby
MSN Messenger Support

1. The errors are a Service failed to start error, like this:

DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the service SENS with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}

All of the services on my comp are set to either automatic or manual at he moment. Got no idea what "SENS" is though. It isnt listed on the services list. Every time my system turns on this comes up four times. The service is different for each of the four erros. Here they all are:

SENS
ccPwdSvc
netman
EventSystem

After looking at teh registry and the services for a while I have discovered that these four srevices are actually:

System Event Notification
Symantec Passwrod Validation service
Network connections
COM+ Event System

However, according to the services utility they are all operating correctly and there are no additional errors after I turn them off then back on, only at system start up.

2. Yes I did try installing olderfversions of both Windows and MSN messenger. I still get an error (although with Windows messenger it doesnt give me a number).

3. No i havent turned off the backgroudn stuff and tried it, the taskmgr wont let me turn most of it off, it just says "this is a system process and cannot be shut down" for the most part. I will give it a third try though.

4. Ues I can log in from another computer.

5. What is hijackthis? well regardless Ill look into getting it and see what I can do with it.

6. Thanks for find this little gem. Regertfully it seems to be the same thing that good ol' MS has sent me about half a dozen times now. I really love that they ask me to respond if I have any further questions then never seem to get back to me.

7. Heres the hijack log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 9:23:31 PM, on 7/27/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2, v.2149 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2149)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRshutA.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\RemoteControl\RCMan.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\E_S00RP1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\GetRight\getright.exe
C:\Program Files\GetRight\getright.exe
C:\My Downloads\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [\\ZIPPY\EPSON Stylus CX5400] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P27 "\\ZIPPY\EPSON Stylus CX5400" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5400"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USRpdA] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-USRpdA
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX5400] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5400" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5400"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r

AGRSMMSG.exe... soft modem messaging... wonder if that may have any conflicts.... u have multiple instances of that there USRobotics driver file USRmlnkA.exe.... I'm not sure if that is normal or not. also try to disable the DCOM process (I think you need to edit registry for that one), as it is used for app communication over a network, however it may cause problems with messenger services. It will cause issues in window updates and maybe media player, but as of now were just trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE has the value "EnableDCOM" set to Y change this value to N to disable DCOM.

although you've reregistered some files, try these as well:

> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 urlmon.dll
> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Msjava.dll
> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Browseui.dll
> Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shell32.dll

I dont know if you've already done the above regsvr32 but it is for IE problems, and since msm is closely related... well, it may help. I'm looking more into the hijack log, maybe awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom