Reading a deceased HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
My Dad's HD died completely. No spinning no anything its just dead. He wants to know if he can get his pictures off of it. I don't know much about this kind of thing so I said I'd ask but is there really anything he can do?

He said the person who looked at it said it would cost him a lot of money (like a few thousand).

Incidentally I also informed him of the going rate of cheap HDs and how it would be a whole lot less than buying a new computer. I think he chose to ignore me out of the thoughts of buying a new computer though. Now if only I can get him to buy something other than an HP or Dell (stubborn old man >_<).

components logically cost less than a whole new pc...
if the pc was old....get a whole new one...
if the hd is completely dead, it's data recovery services...but simply check around on pricing. Go to book store, look at magazine rack, look for pc mags, go to the back and write down what you can find...inquire

Data recovery can be pricey especially if it has to got into a clean room to get the data off the disk.

components logically cost less than a whole new pc...
if the pc was old....get a whole new one...
if the hd is completely dead, it's data recovery services...but simply check around on pricing. Go to book store, look at magazine rack, look for pc mags, go to the back and write down what you can find...inquire

I can barely tell what you're saying between your lack of explanations and the partial sentences.

Its a simple question:

Is there any way to recover the data that won't cost an arm and a leg? If not what kind of price range should be expected?

It will cost about $400-$1000 to recover the data. It's just not worth it to recover unless it's worth more then that.

You can try the freezer trick, stick your hard drive into a bag and put it into the freezer. Then quickly plug it back up. If it does work, you will probably only have a brief moment for you to copy the data off so have everything ready.

It will cost about $400-$1000 to recover the data. It's just not worth it to recover unless it's worth more then that.

You can try the freezer trick, stick your hard drive into a bag and put it into the freezer. Then quickly plug it back up. If it does work, you will probably only have a brief moment for you to copy the data off so have everything ready.

I've never put in a HD so I don't think that would work with the freezer but I may just try it. Alright I thought as much. That really sucks though considering he has all of those pictures on it.

So if I had to guess it sounds like something went wrong making the HD spin as opposed to it burning out or something like that. In that case shouldn't it be as simple as putting the disc into a compatible hard drive to read it? I'm hardly an expert on the topic but that seems like the case.

The hard drive could have overheated causing it not to work.
Also did you check all the cables making sure that nothing is loose. You can also try unplugging it, then replugging it to make sure everything is connected.

The hard drive could have overheated causing it not to work.
Also did you check all the cables making sure that nothing is loose. You can also try unplugging it, then replugging it to make sure everything is connected.

My dad had someone look at it and I'm sure he checked all of those things. I doubt it overheated considering he only web browses. He's had the computer for a long time and I think if it were going to overheat it would've done so before now. I think its more likely that a piece broke out of wear and stress. Something like a cog or whatever holds it together and keeps it running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom