yorkfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
my buddy is coming home from Iraq soon and he wants me to build him a rig.
i want to either put a q6600 or a yorkfield quad. anypne know off the top of their head when the release date of the reasonably priced yorkfields, lol not the qx9650 lol lol, will be released. also, will the other yorkfields work in a 780i mobo?
he should be home by the beginning of summer. i would like to have it built and waiting for him when he returns.
thanks for the info!

Yorkfields will work in the 780i but not the 680i. Last i heard the yorkfields were having stability issues and thus had been pushed back. I havent yet seen a release date. I know they were scheduled for jan 20th, but we all see how that worked out.

I think I'm going to pass on the Yorkfield. Thing is, the Q9450 only has an 8x multiplier, you'd need to bump the FSB up to 500MHz just to get 4.0GHz frequency... which is highly unlikely. If you want those 4.0+GHz numbers we've been hearing about, you need a much higher multiplier, or over better, an unlocked one!

And as far as price goes, I'm not willing to spend anything beyond the price of a Q9450. Besides, my Q6600, for $250, can eat up any game I throw at it. I say go for the Q6600 and know that you can get it now and cheap.

Yep, i'm just going to stick to my q6600. By the time the yorkies are affordable, nehalem will be on the horizon, and will require a completely new build anyway.

well, the main reason for the 780i is that he wants me to SLI cards for him. as far as the price/performance...it really doesn't matter. he has been in iraq for over a year. he has puh-lenty of money to spend on it, and he wants a monster rig. plus, the 780i has the option of adding a 3rd video card.
as far as not using the x38 mobo, he wants multiple grafix cards, and i dont want to use ATi cards. i have limited experience with them, but enough to know that if i am going to build it, i am going to use nvidia cards. just easier for me :).
yeah i read about the 780i differences between the 680i. there are not many.
are we sure that the 780i is less stable than the x38? i know the 680i was problematic.
probably will go with the q6600.

I would certainly try to talk him out of a multi card setup..

And if he insists then for for crossfire X2. :eek:

I don't know, Most X38 just "look" cooler.. :p

I haven't read enough reviews on 780i's to really say.

So far most of the 780is have been pretty stable. I alternate between here and the hardforums and quite a few people over ther have had 780i's since late december and i havent read of anyone having any of the issues that the 680i launch did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom