FX5200 vs. Ti4200...so confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had a Ti 4200 AGP 8x 128 Mb for the last year and a half (recently upgraded to a radeon 9800 Pro). Very good cards. I was able to play recent games like far cry on the card. I dont knwo how well it would go with games like doom 3, but it is still a good card.

PizzatheHut06 said:
This is interesting. Check out these benchmarks:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-09.html

I have a GeForce FX 5200 right now, but I'm thinking about returning it and getting a GeForce Ti4200 64 MB. What enables the Ti4200, which is DX 8.1, to beat out the FX 5200 which is DX 9? Since Halo is DX 9, shouldn't the FX 5200 do better?

Make a comparison between the two cards and see:

http://www.area3d.net/overview.php

Ti 4200 operates on a 4x2 architecture (4 rendering pipelines with 1 texture mapping unit for each) while FX 5200 only operates on 4x1. In plain English, this means that in games with multitexturing (which is like 99.99999% of them today), the Ti 4200 will get the job done faster. The Ti 4200 also has a faster core/memory frequency, and bind that together with higher memory bandwidth and raw fill rate.

However, on an interesting note, the Ti 4200 and FX 5200 do perform about the same when anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering (or both) are enabled (in other words, the Ti 4200 takes a higher performance hit when either one or both features are enabled). One thing NVIDIA improved on the FX series was to make more effective use of those 2 features.

Still though, the frame rates you'll get from enabling those features will still be absymal on either card, so the only logical reason left is raw performance.

Higher product number does not necessarily denote higher performance. Look at the small details behind each chip.

kick butt, didi.. thx, I've actually been looking for something like that! course I wish tech specs were there, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom