How To Make Window's startup faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont see no increase in startup performance...

It's only one step to see the amount of display time reduced down from the default 30 seconds. What that means is reaching the desktop sooner when starting Windows up.

The EasyBCD 1.71 is a great tool for making things available right at the desktop rather then opening up the mscofig or manually using the BCD editor. You can also rename "previous versions of Windows" to something like Windows XP. When multibooting with the Home and Pro versions I found that out over simply making changes with the msconfig.

Adding XP in after Vista is on is a lot of crap however. When the new version came a few articles with so called methods were tried out to no avail. You still ended up reinstalling Vista to see XP installed into Vista's own boot options and new boot loader.

That is not true anymore eyeCpc. We have worked on it and have now got a while slew of options to fix the XP after Vista method. ;)

We haev gotten almost all the common errors fixed and some of the uncommon ones as well.

Installing XP After Vista - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
Troubleshooting Windows XP - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

As you can see a lot of work has gone into making the proce3ss as easy as possible. Computer Guru and myself have done a lot of testing on several situations to make it work as easily as possible for everyone. So we have tried to fix as many of the XP after Vista problems as we can.

karzq...not that i know of. Most of the time i jsut pu tin the Vista bootloader and just remove the Vista entry and go with the XP entry. Either that or i modify the boot.ini to have 4 seconds and not 30.

Those APC and other articles first seen were garbage for sure. I'll have to show those links to people looking to see XP added on.

When you are single OSed and not dual booting keeping the amount of seconds down for displaying what you are not using makes things easier there too.

I was gonna say those 2 pages i linked to dont have the mention of those artilces. I know which ones you are talking about as well. But these pages dont ahve those articles on there. I have seen those on the XP page or was it the Vista page....either way. They are somewhat useful for ways to setup the system. Not necessarily how to get it to work.

Check in the forums. Ihave helpedat least 70 people get their system working. Guru has helped i cant tell you. We are constantly answering these dual boot questions. ;)

I use EasyBCD to boot Ubuntu. I have used it for Fedora and OS X as well.

Unless you are just talking about the OP tip. Yes that is only for XP.

I worked with EasyBCD here when Vista was first released and that became available shortly after. I first ran into the mimic of that however being the VistaBootPro piece of garbage until seeing how EasyBCD was the one to advise.

For two versions of Windows however you still need one to detect the other in order to see a dual boot actually work. One copy of Windows still has to detect the partition/drive the other copy is installed as well as the version itself along with adding to the boot loader.

For the two links there I'll still review those anyways. The timeout= ? seconds is still seen in Vista but sees a different look in the msconfig utility like the image here shows.

Yeah VistaBootPro was a direct rip of EasyBCD. I wont get into that whole story but needless to say it isnt a good app.

I understand what you are saying but Vista doesnt use the same loader as XP (boot.ini) and even if you dont use EasyBCD and dual boot cause Vista auto added XP to the bootloafer you wont find it on that screen you posted. ;)

The screen shot there simply shows how that section looks in Vista in the msconfig for setting the timeout seen on the right side there. If I was currenly dual booting XP instead of seeing both as stand alone OSs you would also see the additional entry for the older version there with the option for setting that as the default OS to load.

The one thing to remember about dual booting the two versions however is the loss of Vista's own restore points. There's a work around to see those preserved however in the guide written by an MS MVP seen at John Barnett's Windows Vista Support: Prevent System Restore Points Being Lost When Dual Booting With Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom