Build-up soon...ATI or NVIDIA though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I don't really go by newegg customer reviews because people 90% of the time only voice their opinion when something goes wrong, but usually there's a good review in there just as man yas there are bad and I only saw bad so I just wanted to make sure.

The ASUS board is $209.99 and the Gigabyte is only $124.99 so there's a big price-difference considering the Gigabyte isn't SLI ready etc., but I can justify that much of a price gap.

Starcraft 2. The main reason I bought a new computer. Not everyone's a nerd who played the first one. Watch the game require 2GB's of video card memory to play. Hopefully it comes out for X-Mas 2008. That would be one great X-Mas. Playing the greatest RTS sequel after a decade wait, while loaded.

Man, after doing all of this research on here through hours of threads and guides etc...and having been a lurker and poster here for a long while now...I'm about to finally get ready to build a new system and I'm stuck on as to which route to take...

I see the HD 3870 ATI cards look highly ranked, with a gigabyte board or something for cheap...or I can get the eVGA 8800GT cards for same price that rank higher...with a more expensive mobo like an evga or asus board...

I'm trying to save money where I can...but I do need a decently performing machine. Primarily, for starcraft 2 because I'm a nerd and that's all the machine will be used for gaming-wise more than likely. I stick to halo 3 for all my other gamer needs.

So what route should I take and where should I save money?

I'm thinking the following:

antec 900/CM 690 case maybe
Q6600
Gigabyte board + 3870 card -or- asus/evga + 8800GT card
2gb ram, ocz/crucial
what power supply, i have no idea?
cd/dvd - whatever's cheap and works good, 2 of them
WD or seagate, whatever 500gb is cheapest for SATA at the time

That's it I guess roughly. I just need to know which route to choose, ATI or nVidia. I've always liked nVidia more but the 3870 route seems cheaper and pretty comparable in performance. Is that right? Thanks everybody!

awwww yea man im down with starcraft 2 lol I'm basically getting a new computer for that game also, along with WOW and Unreal 3 and Universe at war until starcraft 2 comes out....the first starcraft was an awsome game lol..believe it or not i still havnt bought a new computer since the days that i played that game...so i really needa new one lol...umm im thinkin i might try and get whatever u end up doin if it works out for you so let me know how it goes once u get your comp and everything man

I heard Blizzard said October 1st. It'll prob be pushed back though as usual with them, but it's worth it of course.

In my cart I added everything up adding these instead
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Then one of these - MSI is very reputable for making excellent Nvidia cards.
Newegg.com - MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Then I put in the DS3R. I own a DS3R and i cannot say anything other than what an amazing board it is...It can overclock my E6300 to 3.6ghz which is AMAZING.

Then I added in 90 bucks for the Corsair 550VX PSU and only one of the DVD burners. total came to $1012 before shipping at the egg. By the time you order parts will down even more and it should be around 1000 after shipping.

Yeah I agree rebates stink. I could get the XFX card and save another $20 though, that sounds good as well. Isn't eVGA like one of the best though, or does it even really matter?'

Thanks guys, you're slowly saving me money on my build-up hehe. =)

Mostly its price, looks, and company loyalty that comes into picking which card

XFX is known for having better rma policys and service, as with EVGA you can use the step-up program which no other company atm offers.

Price, you just have to look at yourself, and if its $20 bucks cheaper... then its $20 cheaper... go for it :p

You can also buy an 8800 GT from galaxy for around $180, but they are fugly looking and i know nothing about the company... Up to you.

I would go with the XFX, they look cool :)

right now ATI (for now until 9800 gx2 is out) has the high end winner and nvidia has the more popular gt/gts mid range.

The Corsair 550VX non-modular, is that any better than the Corsair 520HX modular? I like the idea of having a modular supply this time around, I want to do a lot of cable management/hiding in this new machine, would like to have virtually none visible lol.

That MSI looks good, plus it's overclocked which is a why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom