Running out of options:Slow Connection Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzou

Baseband Member
Hello!

Im at my witt's end with BT at this present moment in time, i've been an internet customer with BT since there internet service started and i have never regreted it or had a problem, until now. I'am signed up to the 8 meg package, according to BT wholesale i should be able to get around 7.5meg, as im not far from my exchange. Since it rolled out in my area a couple of years ago, i have had around 7.5meg and been pleased with the service.

Last Monday, my Internet began to slow down, only short sharp dip's but has gradually got worse and worse. Now I'm downloading a roughly 7-14kbps. I went through the steps of power cycling my router, and also reseting it, no change. I then did several speeds tests, none going above 423kps Downstream, and only 248kps upstream. I used BT's Speed tester, several times i got a error message saying that it could not be done due to a problem.

At this time my BT Home hub was telling me:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,438

With this, i began to check my filters, i had two spare (new) and changed them over to be safe, still my tests are telling me under 1meg.

I decided to phone BT, i was told a line test would be done, no problem was found. I was told to monitor it and come back in 48 hours if there was no improvement. There was no improvment, so phoned back, I was spoken to rudely and told that what my router was telling me now:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 438 / 6,447

was correct and that was all there was too it, i couldent even explain anything to this gentleman, he was just constantly throwing this at me, so i phoned back the next day. This time, i was told they would check the line again, we went through the same tests again, no firewalls, test socket, power cycling, the lot. This time, there speed tester was telling me i was receiving speeds of 7.5meg, we decided to put this to the test and i was asked to try Mozilla firefox.

I had to download this programme to my system and guess what 16.4kbps download speed, as well as my browsing speed still being slow. I was told this would now be escalated and i would be phoned within 48 hours and i was, again now fault found and this now had to be a problem at my end. Same tests again, still slow speeds, i even went as far as to totally format this computer (8800, 2.4ghz quad core etc) and go from fresh. Again, slow download speeds and browsing speeds, also i do alot of gaming on this pc such as Unreal tournment 3 and such like and usually get a great ping of 40-70, it was now at 700+ lag for days.

I've just gone through the process of reinstalling the home hub's firmware and still slow browsing, and download speeds. I've been told a engineer will now be sent out, I've just done a computing course, and also built this computer and there hasn't been anything wrong till the past couple of weeks.

I just don't know what to do with BT, im just going around in loops. I also don't seem to be the only person going through this at the moment looking at other forums.

Can anyone suggest anything? Is getting desperate

Regards

Carl

*Recent Tests & Information*

Etherent Connection

BT:
This Test comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7488 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 111 kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

Router:

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:16:42

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,488

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]: 733.00 / 7.91

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 22.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 15.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Line Profile: Interleaved

Other Line tests (Non-bt)

Speedtester.net

486kbps Upstream
234Kbps Downstream

ZDNET

You 204 Kbps

Results 4008 kbits downloaded in 19.675 sec

This is a problem with the line either at the pole or at the connection to the house. There has to be something within the line somewhere that is causing this and the tech will have to figuer it out. Maybe someone jacked it from you? Who knows. Only the tech will kno for sure after running tests from within your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom