my HD 3870 x2 wont fit, requires case modding this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i understand this properly on the fourth picture down you say that piece of metal on the back of the card is hitting the side of the case? if so why not just cut that thing piece of metal off the card with like pliers?

i may have to go that route if necessary, but then again idk if this card is DOA or not because it hasnt shown up on my computer yet.

Heres an idea, how about you go buy a nice case and stop cutting yourself on that one...

lol it was an accident. The broken part that is still on the case doesnt hurt unless i jab my finger in it, which i did apparently.

Pretty sure the mobo tray is aluminum, and if the part of the card is hitting the case, you did something wrong. It looks like the plate is bent inward. Try straightening it out and it wont be hitting.

actually, it's pretty straight right now, i must of bent it back but i know that the card is hitting the back of the case because when the card is in, it's at an angle; the angle isnt noticable until u look at the DVI ports in the back, not the fan, so i know that nothing else is in the way.

dremel500.jpg

wouldnt it be easier if i used like a screwdriver n a hammer? I think i know someone who has one of those.

yea...........i tried clear duct tape to actually hold the card up, but it didnt work, so i used a long black twist tie n that did the trick.

EDIT:

this only fixed the problem of keeping my card from 'bending' while in the PCI-E slot, not to get it fully in it to get it to show up on my computer.

I would just buy a new, nice case.

lol not anytime soon, i just got this one last month!

a full tower case will work :)

it is full tower, look at my sig.

I thought ur problem was solved? Or is that just for now?

actually i failed to mentioned that with the card being so heavy n all n the slot is the only thing holding it up, it gets pulled down n i need something to hold it up, so i used a black twist tie n the trick worked until i found out that the card was still hitting the back of the case too soon.

i did mention that im gonna have to find some small screws to screw the card in to better secure it. Until then, i need to find some way how to cut either the better part off the card or cut the computer case; again, idk if this card is DOA, even though the fan was spinning n everything.

ok so what should i do? Bent (break) this metal to fit it n hope that it isnt DOA (n that i can still return it for a another one if it is DOA)?
IMG_0565-2.jpg

Or should i still find out how to cut a whole in this area of my case?
IMG_0597.jpg

should i use a screw driver n a hammer instead n hammer out a rectangle?

Heres an idea, how about you unscrew the pci bracket from the card itself, If I remember correctly it should only be held on by a couple screws.

The put it in the pci-e slot and support it and power it up, if it works your card is good, if it doesn't there ya go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom