BSOD when shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

sPlAtOiD

Fully Optimized
This is a new one for me. When I shut down my system it gets just where it's ready to turn off and it blue screens just at the last second then restarts.
I'm going to take it apart tonight to investigate but I think its something to do with my ram. Ran MEM test with no errors but I think it has something to do with the dual memory setup. Anyone ever have this happen to them.
Thanks

if it's shutting down that gives an error, I would think it's not hardware but software

try uninstalling EVERYTHING, hehe

This used to happen when i had "mistake edition" but i havent had it crop up with xp or vista. BTW which os are you using.

seems this might be confined to drivers for the gpu and/or monitor profile

edit: also came across this...informative:
---
The resolution is the same, you need an updated driver file for some piece
of hardware on the system. Not necessarily video, but something. The error
means that at some point in the driver file code sequence a pointer (some
value stored previously in system memory) is referenced that doesn't exist
or whose value is meaningless to the current operation. Sometimes this will
cause a loop as it attempts to correct itself (sort of an else/then bypass),
and for others the system will just simply stop (hence the BSOD) as it
doesn't know what to do.
---

the above referenced to this ms kb
Error message in Windows XP: "STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"

My other PC used to do this when it had XP on it but I installed vista on it andit runs fine, its definately a software issue (as far as im concerned)

If you think it has to do with the Dual Channel setup then your first thing to do is check to make sure that the RAM you are trying to run in Dual Channel is capable of running in dual channel. From there make sure you have matching pairs in the dual channel slots to make sure that they run in Dual Channel mode. If you have 2 different sticks they will have to have the same speeds and both be capable of dual channel to run this way.

Thanks you all for replying .
I forgot to mention the OS sorry.
I'm running XP pro sp2 and The two ram sticks are a matching dual kit.
But I've had problems from day one with this picky A8n32Sli Deluxe board Had to buy 3 sets of ram to get one that would run in dual. I Did an RMA on the first board only to have the same thing with the second board.
And Atomic tofu that article seems to make since I have had it Blue screen on me in a game of NFS most wanted a couple of times. I think it is related to a stutter I get also.
When I'm playing music and click on something it will do a little stutter. And that is fairly common.
I guess its time to pull it apart and fine tune some things. I may just get another Motherboard.
Not to happy with ASUS anymore. Probably go back to MSI!

You may have said it earlier but have you tried reinstalling windows, its not a silly suggestion, when i had this formatting fixed it but it is a long and painful process,

another thing you could try is downloading linux, burning it to a cd and runnig linux of the live cd, then shut down and see if it shutsdown properly, that will determine whether the error is hardware or software

Thanks for replying.
I just installed everything about 3 months ago but I have to reinstall my OS about every 3 to 6 months because I'm so hard on my system with testing new things. But for some reason I seem to think i saw something about ctfmon.exe in a error message one day so I read up on it and it's a Office Language bar program that always runs.
And if I turn it off before shutting down I don't get the BSOD.
SOOOO I removed it. Well see how that work's out.
i don't read about this problem but I'm gonna try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom