Loud Beep on Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca.morgan

Beta member
I have a laptop that everytime I boot up I hear a loud beep that continues until the Windows desktop comes on. At that point the only thing that I can find wrong is that my A key does not work. I tried to clean the keyboard thinking it could be a stuck key, but I had no luck on that. I am at a lost of what the problem is. My laptop is a Windows XP Pro with p4 2.6ghz, 1gig RAM, 40 gig Hard Drive. My understanding is that if it was a stuck key the BIOS would show that upon bootup. Does anyone have any ideas?

in laptops, F1 and sometimes ESC key (Depends On manufacturer) is used to opn BIOS controls, DEL on Desktops, f10/f11 on Intel otheboards and so on.

so as u said, that BIOS should open on startup-, isnt applicable, as this key would be someother than the one used to open BIOS controls.

now as far as this problem is concerned, have u ever got soem liquid split on ur keyboard? sa it happens tht keyboard circuitry works as in case a key is pressed, the circuit completes. and sent to system, so there might be a possibility that something might have got stucked between key board circuitry and keys,, and therefore though key shows that its not pressed but actually completing the circuit, that might be some of non writing keys, like ALT, CONTROL, F's, HOME) as if it has to be some alphabetic, then it should have started writing the moment u opeended some word program

download some key checker program, and see what key is being pressed.

and as well, blow hard on ur keys, may eb that thing gets out.

sorry didnt find out ur A key specific before, beneath keyboard, u'll find 2 small clips. that will bring the keyboard out. (some care is required) and see, what the fuss is going, s the base circuitry of any keyboard (even by third class manufacturer) nevers gets faulty, its the keys that losses their power or in some cases, something comes between the k/b and keys.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I actually took the keys off and cleaned the keys and the board. Even after that I still get the beep. And when I open MS Word all I get is A's down the page. Nice thing is this still under warranty and the laptop manufacture is going to send out a replacement keyboard. So thanks for the info.

then it is a stuck key and yes you usually do get the error to go into bios. you'll get a 'Keyboard stuck key error: press XX to enter bios XX to resume' it has nothing to do with the key to get into bios, this is a bios feature most mbd have. When a keyboard problem exists it notifies you and gives you the option with the exception of not detecting one. Usually it will say no kbd found and then freeze at that point and not boot (some mbd may be different, the ones I've seen, however do this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom