Protecting from the elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
I have read around online about ways to protect your laptop from the cold. I will have to leave my laptop in my car for extended periods of time (during work). And although it is highly suggested that you don't do this, I don't really have another choice.

Some suggestions I have seen are buying skins, wrapping the laptop in blankets/sweatshirts, putting wrapped hot water bottles in a bag with it, blah blah.

Does anyone else have to do this? I'm trying to figure out how to tackle this problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

erm, keep it out of the footwell cold air sinks hot air rises, wrap it a jumper or in a old blanket.

That or buy a hardened laptop.

If it is really cold, freezing. Condensation. I'm sure booting up from a really cold state could severely damage components.

There is nothing really wrong with it, seriously. I am in a car club, and we all have installed car pcs into our car, just made out of random parts laying around and putting them into really small cases. The only problem I have seen after 4 years of this, is that the hard drive can be a pit picky, especialy if it has them fluid bearings, it will not wanna start at first, possibly give a BSOD, but once warmed up slightly the HDD will be fine. Just keep it outta the footwells...

There is nothing really wrong with it, seriously. I am in a car club, and we all have installed car pcs into our car, just made out of random parts laying around and putting them into really small cases. The only problem I have seen after 4 years of this, is that the hard drive can be a pit picky, especialy if it has them fluid bearings, it will not wanna start at first, possibly give a BSOD, but once warmed up slightly the HDD will be fine. Just keep it outta the footwells...

Concurred. I'd be more concerned about the laptop being stolen, than the cold, to be honest.

My HP NX7300 Business Notebook for example, has a specified non-operating temperature tolerance of -20°C to 60°C, and an operating temperature tolerance of 0°C to 35°C.

Still, I do advise keeping your laptop in a sleeve case, and out of sight if you store it in your car.

Still, I do advise keeping your laptop in a sleeve case, and out of sight if you store it in your car.
Yeah, I'm planning on wrapping it up and then putting it in my bag in the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom