Can you find a better deal than this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelloYellow

Baseband Member
Im looking to get an amd 64 system. Notably, HP's have been much cheaper than any competition, including small-time builders online and eBay resellers.

Fry's is selling this 64 3400+ machine for $950 after the rebate. (may even be cheaper in stores).

The processor alone is around $400, i dont see how me custom building a similar rig would keep me under a grand. I will probly reformat the drive as soon as i get it to get rid of the OEM bloatedness.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4097812

Obviously they sacrificed a better video card and SATA drive to save money. I figured i could just turn around and sell the 5200xt or just put it in one of my old systems and eventually buy a newer card. Considering the savings, i don't think its a huge sacrifice.

I'm not really a big gamer, but i'd like to try a game every now and then. However, this computer will be mainly used for video-editing in premiere. I figured the AMD64 has enough power to get me closer to real-time editing. I will eventually add an additional 512mb of ram too.

I was considering a 3200+ machine until I realized the 3400+ could probly be upgraded to an FX version of the chip in a year or two when they become cheaper.

btw, I'm not really a fan of Intel, but I've seen some pretty good deals for like 2.6ghz machines for under 700. I read recently they are very overclockable as well. It lacks the 64bit upgrade as well, which has still yet to prove itself. But it sure would be fun to tune a P4 to 3+ ghz and slap a big fan on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom