Paging file recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried all sorts of different sizes under different operating systems and with different amounts of physical memory...but I've found that leaving it on auto seems the best for me.

It can happen for you but the recomended one from the Microsoft Support team for WinXP is 1.5 times of ur RAM space.

Paging file should be avoided. If possible, you'll want to use more actual RAM, and less paging file.
hard drives are much, much slower than RAM

On my system, I'm running XP x64 edition, with 4GB RAM. I have paging file disabled.
My system responds very fast when loading anything, switching between programs etc.

I'm pretty sure that having too much paging file wont slow you down substantially, so keep it at whatever you feel is best. I have 2gb of ram and i have mine at 1gig, just in-case..

the pagefile should always be between 1.5 and 2.5 times the amount of ram u have in your pc, so go for about 5Gb....

1.5 ive been told.

Just set to automatic is does nothing.

Go for setting it too 2.5 tymes of ur RAM size and give the maximum and minimum limit to be he same. It is important to give the paging file size for ur system optimizations.

Ok boys, listen up. We are not in the PIII ages anymore. The 2.5 or 1.5 rule doesn't apply any more. PF is not necessary at 2GB. And 5GB of PF is just plain wrong.

Ok boys, listen up. We are not in the PIII ages anymore. The 2.5 or 1.5 rule doesn't apply any more. PF is not necessary at 2GB. And 5GB of PF is just plain wrong.
I don't know why people still believe in the 2.5x or 1.5x rules. They're just wrong.

Paging file only exists, because sometimes systems need more memory (RAM) than they have. But, it's much slower than RAM.

Wherever possible, you should avoid using paging file, and use more RAM instead.

I'm just going by what Microsoft says. I do think they no a bit more? Even if it may be wrong :p

Anyway i was meant to post that you can set your paging file to 0 because he had 3 gig of ram, but schools computers have disabled login's ? :/

And the only reason i was agreeing with Da viksta is because 1.5 is standard which does equal to near 5 gig (obviously to much)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom